1932 Franklin Airman 4 door Sedan "2/3 completed Project Car" For Sale

Guest TheSenatorsMom

Guest TheSenatorsMom

My father purchased this car from the original owner more than a decade ago and immediately began the meticulous restoration and rebuild. He passed away 2 years ago leaving her about 2/3 of the way finished. The same mechanic has numbered each part and all is ready for the final assembly. The body has been sanded and primed with fenders removed in order to begin the final exterior paint job. As advised by classic car aficionados, I'm leaving her in this condition to allow the new owner the pleasure of finishing out my father's dream.

MUST SEE!!! ALL ORIGINAL PARTS!!! SECOND OWNER!!! Impeccable interior with the teakwood and mohair fabric (both original) to make this Interior the prized possession of this car. *Engine and its cover are complete lacking only routine maintenance to make it run *Covered when not being worked on and always in a garage with minor exposure to the elements *Maintenance records available

After taking care of the odds and ends of my father's estate, I've finally been able to take this on. The asking price is $15k but if any experts feel this isn't appropriate for it, please advise and I will give many thanks and much appreciation for the help. I've been getting a lot of referrals and had very little feedback.

post-100495-143142483609_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483624_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483637_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483657_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483675_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483692_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483705_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483721_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483734_thumb.jpg

post-100495-143142483746_thumb.jpg

If you post this on the HH franklin website for sale you will get a lot of feedback.Most Franklins do not bring big money.Is the engine and trans rebuilt and by whom?There are a lot of factors to consider.I think 15,000 is a little on the high side for this car but you never know.When finished this car is a great driver. I wish your dad could have enjoyed it.Other Franklin members will chime in on this car.

Guest TheSenatorsMom

thank you for the suggestion. The reason for the price is that's what the mechanic who had been working on her told me to list her as. The engine and transmission were cleaned up and maintained. Dad drove her a month before he passed. Thank you for your kind words for my father. I greatly appreciate them.

The '32 was Franklin's finest. The interior does not look original to me. It should be broadcloth, not mohair. Your price is a little high, but not out of the ballpark. I see an air conditioner compressor. Who installed that? Assuming it needs paint and chrome only, that's at least $20k, probably more. It looks like a nice project. Franklin sold less than 2,000 cars in 1932.

Guest TheSenatorsMom

Hi! Thank you so much for the feedback-I am grateful for any comments (prefer a nice tone if critical), advice, suggestions.

To address the mohair: I put that as it was said by someone who I thought knew something about the car but as it turns out maybe they don't??? Would you be able to tell me what it is if I took more pictures of the interior? I'm assuming it is the original because (1) I'm wrong on mohair comment and (2) my stepmonster told me "everything from front to back is original" this being based on statements from the previous owner. Heck Mr. Steve/Miss Aura, Daddy could have had the wool pulled over his eyes or lied to his wife so she'd be quiet about the money spent on the car.

Now, remember I'm new at this, so please be careful as you might fall out of your chair or spit out any liquid when reading this but: What does the compressor look like? Would you please tell me which picture it is and what is it next to?

As far as the needs-Obviously, paint and chrome but she hasn't been driven in over 2 years so it will need to be flushed or whatever procedure or process is needed to be done.

Picture #10 of 10 shows the compressor, it's to the right of the picture above the red wire; picture #2 of 10, showing dash instruments, also shows to the bottom right what appears to be an air conditioning air distribution unit inside the car. Obviously, air conditioning wasn't available in 1932, although a lot of people have wished over the years that it was!

Would make a great car, unfortunately the most expensive part is left to do, paint and chrome, as previously mentioned. Franklins are wonderful cars, but don't seem to bring the dollars some other well known makes bring. My opinion is your car, as it sits, might bring $8K to $10K, but not much more.

Hope you find a good home for it...

I can't see the seats, but from what I can see, the upholstery has been re-done, and with incorrect fabric. Also, the gauges are wrong except for the speedometer and clock. Original gauges may be hard to find. The fuel tank is a new fabrication, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The air conditioning, while totally incorrect, might be a plus. It appears well-thought out, and the engine has the power to run it.

Franklin sedans from 1930-34 are in high demand among Franklin people (a small audience), however not many want a project. The '32 is the most prized however. You should have no trouble selling it. List it on the Franklin club web site www.franklincar.org

It looks like your dad was doing a great job on building the 32 like he wanted it. It will make a great car, but still needs $20,000 spent on it. IE: chrome, paint, assembly. You should finish up the car and join the Franklin club. Carry on dads dream. Good luck! Mike