65 Rive Trunk paint

Rufcar

Was the interior of the 65 Riviera trunk always painted with a spatter paint like most other GM cars of the period and if so was it black with white or black with green splatter. Did the cardboard surround also match that splatter? I have nothing in mine and its now all black and I cant tell plus looking at other Riv's most people do there own thing when it comes to trucks so Im just not sure. Thanks Jim

. . . or you can also use a black, rubberized, rocker panel stone guard available in rattle cans, or applied with a 'shutz' gun.

Not exactly stock, but makes for a clean 'durable' finish, as opposed to gloss black paint, and also adds some sound deadening capabilities to the flat metal panels.

Most of the trunk area is covered by card board inserts, and specific pattern fabric mats as Ed stated.

Be very careful with the overspray if you use this as a finish - don't ask me how I know !!

Ruf, I have a 65 and after removing the trunk lining and pan sound deaden-er the metal was body color over a primer and it didn't seem to be much more than over-sprayed paint. As Ed said the cardboard is gray and there are 5 pieces. Two cover the quarters, two cover the hinge horns and one along the back panel. Also like Ed said the covering is a weave in a brown/tan spectrum. I found that Jenkins Interiors in North Carolina had some fabric that was real close to the original. Attached is the original, as I got it from the previous owner, and what mine looks like now. I used a black carpet attached to the gray cardboard with DAP Contact Cement instead of the gray cardboard - I like the look and it won't show wear. I have gray cardboard pieces for judging if necessary.

I also had an interim look that I abandoned when I found the fabric. There are a couple pics of that alternate version too.

post-95345-14314247991_thumb.jpg

post-95345-1431424799_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142479902_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142479909_thumb.jpg

Gordon were the wheel well arches covered originally? I found a piece of cardboard behind the rear seat and it it black with dark green splatters like I 1st asked? Your car turned out great! jim

Jim, Thank you for your kind words and yes the wheel well inners are covered with fabric. The original fabric covering had four pieces. One basically on the floor of the trunk, one that is on the spare tire shelf and it extends down and is overlapped by the floor piece. Then there were two smaller pieces that are shaped to cover the wheel well inner humps that are exposed or rather not covered up by the cardboard that goes over the hinge horn and the quarter cardboard. BTW there is a tab on the hinge horn cardboard that goes into a slot on the quarter cardboard. I know you really can't see the original picture that well.

I know Jenkins Interiors has "Original Fabric Templates", because I sent the original ones I took out to them after my wife and I made our pieces.

Additionally, I agree that the trunk metal can be finished with a rubberized or encapsulation type rattle can product, and the color is not real important. The fabric covering and the cardboard pieces cover almost all of the inside of the trunk. There are only a few places in the trunk that are exposed, and they are on the back panel, they should be body color. Those exposed areas are near where the decklid rubber bumpers rest when the deck is closed. I can send pictures if you want to see what I mean or we can talk on the phone (PM if you want).

The original fabric was held down with a glue of some sort - it appeared to be brownish red after 48 years. There are two clips on each side that hold the cardboard to the hinge horns and some push in clips that hold the quarter cardboard - one per side. There is a hard to find metal headed push clip that holds the back panel cardboard near the latch.

Not sure what the cardboard you found behind the back seat is - post a picture and I may be able to identify it. And I think the green splatter you see may actually be the over-spray body color or an earlier trunk restoration.

Sorry about the long answer.

Rock On

gord