1940 Engine Rebuilt by Collins & Leary, Inc. - Bridgeport, CT -- When?

allcars

My 1940 Buick's engine has a Collins & Leary plate attached to the right-hand side of the block. It indicates that the Bridgeport, CT shop rebuilt the engine at some time in the past. Online research reveals that Collins & Leary was in business from 1926 until sometime fairly recently. From what I know of my car's history, it would have been before 1972, for certain, that their work on my engine was done. Does anyone recall Collins & Leary, or has anyone seen a similar plate attached to an engine before? I'd really like to narrow down the date range for the rebuild, but would welcome any comments regarding additional history about Collins & Leary.

Thanks!

post-31331-143142449533_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

My brother worked at Collins and Leary in the late 60's. He had a  large machine shop and delivered oil to gas stations in an ancient truck; an AutoCar. I used to hang out there when I was just a pesky kid, hungry to learn anything automotive. It's a body shop today. It was located next to Tom Thumb's house in Bpt CT.

I have seen similar plates, they were very common on rebuilt engines. Large shops and factory rebuilds used them, not small local auto machine shops. I have a Chrysler industrial engine that came from Chrysler with a similar ID plate on the right side above the oil pump.

Your plate gives the oversize of pistons, rod and main bearings. Wonder what the 14  27 indicates. Obviously not a date, maybe a job number? If the company records still exist it may be possible to date your rebuild but most likely they were destroyed years ago.