Under hood and trim paint questions?

Rufcar

#1I noticed a few cars including mine that the underside of the hood is painted the car color and that most I see are painted gloss black? which is it?

#2The other item I see is I have 2 chrome surrounds at the left and right side of hood insulation are all 3 suppose to have that and is it even original?

#3Lastly do the exterior cowl vents get painted the car color or does the flat side stay chrome? Jim

#1I noticed a few cars including mine that the underside of the hood is painted the car color and that most I see are painted gloss black? which is it?

#2The other item I see is I have 2 chrome surrounds at the left and right side of hood insulation are all 3 suppose to have that and is it even original?

#3Lastly do the exterior cowl vents get painted the car color or does the flat side stay chrome? Jim

Underside of hood is satin or semi-gloss back. Never body color and never gloss.

Not sure what you mean in item #2. Doesn't sound original though. Post a pic

I'll let someone else answer #3 but I don't think the flat grille section is chrome

Underside of hood is satin or semi-gloss back. Never body color and never gloss.

Not sure what you mean in item #2. Doesn't sound original though. Post a pic

I'll let someone else answer #3 but I don't think the flat grille section is chrome

Flat side of the cowl vent is painted body color

Tom Mooney

Flat side of the cowl vent is painted body color

Tom Mooney

Tom is correct (as usual). And the washer nozzle is left chrome (installed after grill is painted). Here is a photo example (from Mark Uhlig's incredibly original '63 Riv).

post-48121-143142443122_thumb.jpg

(Click photo to enlarge.)

The end result is what looks like a chrome horse shoe scoop around the vent grill.