65 Riviera drivers side remote mirrior repair?

Rufcar

In my new acquisition the drivers mirror moves funky and only up and slightly down and sideways? I have worked on similar types on 70's Rolls and they had a series of wires that hooked in 4 different locations in the back of the mirror. That all said is this similar? It s nice to know what Im looking at before I tear it apart!

Also do I need to remove the door skin and door panel or just the inside panel side? Thanks jim

The doorskin has to come off-its got 4 cables as you discribed (see chassis manual ) or get one-youll need it to work on the riv.lubing may help.ive tightened my base up but didnt really mess with mechanics.im ssomeone else will chime in with better knowledge of servicing.T.N...

In my new acquisition the drivers mirror moves funky and only up and slightly down and sideways? I have worked on similar types on 70's Rolls and they had a series of wires that hooked in 4 different locations in the back of the mirror. That all said is this similar? It s nice to know what Im looking at before I tear it apart!

Also do I need to remove the door skin and door panel or just the inside panel side? Thanks jim

Jim, no need to remove the door skin. Remove the horizontal phillips thru screw which secures the head to the base. This will give you access to the screws which hold the base to the door skin. Pull the inside bezel and the cable and control head will come out thru the hole in the door skin.

Tom Mooney

There are only three cables on the Riviera mirror. They're color coded: if you decided to remove the cables from the joy stick make sure that they still show some color or somehow mark them so you put them back the same way. I'm guessing that one of your wires is broken. :( Hopefully, I'm wrong.

The sytem sounds exactly like my 76 rolls shadow. I wouldnt surprise me if there both from the same supplier. Which means a PITA to reconnect. Does anyone know if I can buy individual cables? I saw a complete unit for sale recently and I could combine both to make one!

It may not be broken, mine wasn't and I had the same symptoms you have. You may only have to put the one wire that is detached back in its keeper. It could be on the "joystick" end or outside. The easiest one to get to is the inside, look there first. Then use the method 1965rivgs (Tom) shared for the outside. As a wise man once told me, "start with the cheapest/easiest thing first".

Good Luck

gord

Edited by msdminc (see edit history)

IF I can figure out how to convert a remote mirror ( the kind that can be swiveled to work on the passenger side ) to a non-remote convex mirror, I'll have the mirror part with cables attached available soon. As I said, and that's a big IF, if I can figure out to convert mine to a manually adjustable right side mirror. Has anyone done anything like this?

Ed

Ok I checked out both sides today all was intact! One wire was slightly bent. I oiled everything but I believe the problem was the mirror shell was not in properly. The 2 **** on the bottom were not into there proper detent. Once I did that it all worked better at least good enough for me to adjust for my driving as I will be the only driver! thanks guys. Jim