Body mounts torque specs?

JRRivi64

Ladies and gents,

Searched high and low in my chassis and body service manual as well as did a "body mounts" search here. Lots of good info on resto steps and body mount manufacturers but couldn't find info regarding torque specs for body to frame mounts. Are there torque specs or just "tight as heck?" Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Ladies and gents,

Searched high and low in my chassis and body service manual as well as did a "body mounts" search here. Lots of good info on resto steps and body mount manufacturers but couldn't find info regarding torque specs for body to frame mounts. Are there torque specs or just "tight as heck?" Thanks for any input.

Jeff

Ahhh yesss…the sweet sounds of crickets chirping and the croaking of frogs in the distance…..

HaHa funny. Thats what happens when you ask a difficult question! Though its a good one. I can't recall the topic coming up. I'll be needing an answer to this soon. If the info is not in the Body manual it may have been in the factory assembly manual and those aren't too common for the Rivs. In times like this I'll sometimes visit the Chevelle forum for leads on topics most Buick owners don't concern themsleves with. They have listed the spec 30-45 foot lbs for 60s era Chevelle. If original type body mounts are being used with the internal steel sleeve the bolt will bottom out on the sleeve compressing the rubber just the right amount so at that point snug it down good using caution not to break the cage nut loose. As long as you apply common sense its probably not too critical. They need to be tight enough to compress the rubber a slight amount.

50 ft. lbs.

I too couldn't find that information anywhere when replacing the rear mounts on my 64. After plenty of searching, it seems 50 ft. lbs. is the answer for GM. Seems about right when I installed the rear mounts as 35 or 40 lbs. would not have been enough torque to properly seat the bushing. 50 ft. lbs. was the sweet spot.

Mark

This brings to mind a technique used by another car manufacturer: "Sir Henry Royce was of the opinion that a skilled mechanic could correctly tighten all the nuts using the correct length spanners and/or tommy bars that he stipulated."

Now, where did I put that Riviera body bolt spanner?

Bernie

THANK YOU guys very much for your input. I'm no where near the point of assembly of body to frame - I'm actually removing the body mounts. I have a tendency to evaluate/over-evaluate things and in this case I wanted to know the process of assembly. I checked body/chassis manuals and did a search here (but no luck) as well as a simple Google search…I even went on to another... FORUM ...and I feel dirty, ashamed, can't even look at myself in the mirror now. The closest info I found was at "1967 Buick Chassis Service Manual Section 2" if you just Google this and go to "Section C page 20-16" you'll find mounting specs and diagram of X frame not first gen though and their torque specs are 30-45 ft lbs. Thanks for confirming the info hope this helps others. I knew the ROA Forum wouldn't let me down!

• 2 months later...

When I looked for body mount bushings the 3 main suppliers people talked about where OPG, CARS & Classicbuicks.com. Kanter & Rubbertherightway.com sells some but poss not correct.

I purchased the full set from classicbuicks. The overall construction appear to be of a high quality grade rubber, they look very durable but the upper bushings have sleeves that are aluminum (great workmanship too). The lowers are from Steele Rubber with a metal washer impregnated in the rubber.

I have my bushings just sitting in the proper holes (just for looks I guess) on my rolling chassis. Stepping back & forth over my chassis I've knocked a couple of the bushings by engine off & at that short 1-1/2' drop the alum sleeves were damaged. Not bad enough where I can't use them but it reminded me how soft aluminum is.

I too could not find torque specs either but read this thread early on talking about 50lbs. 50lbs sounded kind of high, I thought the aluminum sleeve might get crushed so I emailed Marc at classicbuicks.com with the posted suggestions & this was his reply.

**Hello David,

50 LBS is way too much! Just get the bolts tight, then torque tight one more time.

Sincerely,

Marc

CMW Inc & Classic Buicks**

So I don't know what that equates to in "ft lbs" & I still have a week or so before I get to that stage in my build. Remember this is for the aluminum sleeved version that he sells.

Hope that helps…

David

Ladies and gents,

Jeff

Jeff,

The factory torque specs are:

Front most mount (under the core support) is 25 ft lbs

Second mount (both) behind the front wheels is 35 ft lbs

Third mount in front of the rear wheels is 45 ft lbs

Fourth mount behind the rear wheels is 35 ft lbs

Rear mounts at the rear of the trunk pan are 25 ft lbs

Keep in mind, if using a long handle 1/2" ratchet. this is barely snug. The above are the factory specs.

Are the bushing combinations you are using exactly the same as the factory? If not, do the factory torque guidelines apply? Best to do as suggested previously and tighten the bolts until the rubber is slightly compressed. Considering the diameter of the bolts, the fact you are torquing down on rubber, and the potential for the body compressing and "working" the mounts, I might consider using a little blue loctite on the bolts. Dont use the red, OR THE GREEN, the blue should be OK. Have fun,

Tom Mooney

Jeff,

The factory torque specs are:

Front most mount (under the core support) is 25 ft lbs

Second mount (both) behind the front wheels is 35 ft lbs

Third mount in front of the rear wheels is 45 ft lbs

Fourth mount behind the rear wheels is 35 ft lbs

Rear mounts at the rear of the trunk pan are 25 ft lbs

Keep in mind, if using a long handle 1/2" ratchet. this is barely snug. The above are the factory specs.

Are the bushing combinations you are using exactly the same as the factory? If not, do the factory torque guidelines apply? Best to do as suggested previously and tighten the bolts until the rubber is slightly compressed. Considering the diameter of the bolts, the fact you are torquing down on rubber, and the potential for the body compressing and "working" the mounts, I might consider using a little blue loctite on the bolts. Dont use the red, OR THE GREEN, the blue should be OK. Have fun,

Tom Mooney

THANKS AGAIN Tom, very much appreciated!