Chrome work.

Guest CRex619

Guest CRex619

Needing help locating shops that rechrome bumpers as well as smaller items that doesnt as for your first born child as payment I'm located in southeastern Ohio so the closer the better.

Thanks!

It sounds like you already know quality plating is very expensive. One problem folks run into when trying to find a lesser expensive option is that lesser expensive still isn't cheap, and sub standard quality or a ruined part can be a result so watch out for that.

Really depends on your needs. If you are easy to please and don't care about buffing gouges, pits and peeling chrome then you should shop a vendor only by price and be accepting of some minor defects. If you want quality focus less on price and shop by quality first then price.

I have found chrome shops that are located in the Southern CA area seem to turn out decent work for the most reasonable prices. Not sure if its related to more competition or higher availability of illegal labor. Regardless I can't emphasize enough that when dealing with any plating shop it is important to be able to meet the supplier face to face when you drop the parts off and then go pick them up and inspect before paying. Some mail order shops know that the hassle of shipping and associated costs act as a buffer to stifle complaints. If they know they have to satify a customer face to face there is a better possibility of getting quality, although not guarenteed.

Try to network with any local classic or hotrod car club people and see who they are using. Or better yet take an example or two of parts and drive around to local shops and talk to them. Ask to see examples of there work and if it looks OK thell them thats what you expect and to give you a price.

Guest CRex619

Well for instance I got a quote from a shop in PA that was willing to fix any damage on the parts and chrome both front and rear bumpers for almost 10k does that seem higher than normal?

Check some local body shops to see where they send truck bumpers for repair and re-plating. Here in south central Texas most are sent to Mexico and the whole deal is handled by the (friendly) body shop. The results have been the best on 55 Buick bumpers. I might hesitate to send rare parts.

Well for instance I got a quote from a shop in PA that was willing to fix any damage on the parts and chrome both front and rear bumpers for almost 10k does that seem higher than normal?

Oh yes thats high. Sounds like it was from Pauls..... but to know for sure what kind of car are the bumpers from and what is the current condition of them. Pitted, rusted, bent, dinged?

Did you take the bumpers to the place in PA for a quote? No way any shop can quote accurately without seeing the part. If you do get a quote using that method its going to be padded. And if they happen to guess/quote low they will either make you pay more or cut corners on the quality. Difference has to be made up somewhere as they can't lose money.

I can give you an example that I would expect to pay $1300-$1600 for a high quality front bumper for a 66-70 Riviera and thats if the bumper is pretty clean and 80-90% pit and rust free and straight. Condition prior to plating weighs in heavy on the final cost as does the specific design of bumper. The more contours and tight corners the more $$$

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest CRex619

Currently the front bumper isnt bad except for a baseball size dent to the right of the license plate. Pitting is minimal as well as rust. The back bumpers is about the same perhaps a little more rust but minimal pitting again. I'm pretty sure it was Pauls. The car is a 56 special.

Nine years ago I had both bumpers for the '55 Roadmaster replated by Graves (Florence Alabama).

Graves has and has had for many years an excellent and well deserved reputation .

That's seven pieces for the front and three pieces for the rear, ten pieces total.

I dropped the bumpers off, and they took me on a tour of the plant. I was MOST impressed with the operation.

I paid $3,000 +/- for plating of both bumpers. They didn't require repair, only replate (I dropped them off and picked them up)

Today (nine years later) they look great!