Arm rest questions

Rufcar

I have replacements coming and they are in black. What part/color on the door are they supposed to match? The actual rest the door panel? My files are too big and I cant seem to load them.

Ed with everything 50 yrs old much fading has taken place so Im guessing the factory intent was that the whole door matched when new. The carper was as close as possible. I see that carpet in sets on line for sale of similar color. what color name is the carpet and interior? My Tag says 629 trim which is Saddle Vinyl custom int. yes?

\For the record My tag says EXT 2ks I translate that to ; A/C and rear speaker? 3t? 4f remote mirror? 5 KW Door guards? I could not find a literal translation just similar that's why Im asking. Thanks Jim

I restored a saddle interior a handful of years ago and after much research found that nothing "matches". The factory used varying shades of saddle, both metallic and non-metallic, not to mention varying gloss levels, and a few pieces from another trim code.

The door armrests should be a "butterscotch pudding" color.

The console is a completely different color, a medium saddle, and a metallic. Same color as the lower drivers side dash.

The lower dash pad on the pass side is the same pad used in the "Fawn" cloth and vinyl interior and is a champagne color, metallic look vinyl. It doesnt "match" at all. At first I assumed someone used a pad from another car but I found this to be consistently so in all the cars I studied.

The list goes on and on from the seat belt retractor plastic trim to the package shelf trim pieces, etc, etc....drove me crazy.

A couple of areas I needed to pay special attention to...the binding around the carpet on the door panels is a dark bronze, not the same saddle vinyl as the rest of the vinyl on the door panel. The grain of this bronze is also NOT madrid as the rest of the interior but is the same as the `64 grain, the name of which I cant recall at the moment. Use the same material for the forward windlace, however, the rear windlace is the same as the saddle vinyl.

I found the "correct" color and original material carpeting at ACC, Auto Custom Carpets. Everybody else`s offerings were wrong.

Good luck Ruf!

Tom Mooney

Yes, originally everything did match. The carpet was close. Look under a seat where the "sun don't shine" and see what the original carpet color was.

SEM makes a product called Color Coat, and there are other companies that make similar products that are made specifically for dyeing vinyl and plastic. Mask off everything but the vinyl, remove the window cranks and door handles and top coat everything with the same color. Tolulene or Xylene are pretty strong but if you go over the vinyl with a rag dampened with some of either on it, you'll open the pores of the vinyl so the dye will penetrate it better. DO NOT saturate it, the vinyl will sag. If your seats are all vinyl and need some attention, you can dye them as well. Paint the side of the console while you're at it and everything will sparkle when you're finished. Just make sure that you follow the directions on the product.

If you want to add some sparkle to faded carpets, make up a solution of RIT dye in the color you want and use a spray bottle to dye it. Let it sit for a while then take a damp cloth and remove the dye that didn't penetrate the carpet fiber.

Ed

Guest clamshells

SEM makes a cleaner/prep for their interior paints, it works excellent. SEM part #38343 spray or 38344 in a bottle. I highly recommend them.

Ok Ed. 01A 1st jan 65 49447 Buick Series 94 47 Coupe FB78442 Flint Prod #

TR 629 Saddle int TT Seafoam Green

EXTS 2kr A/c rear speaker 3J ? 4F Remote Mirror 5KW Door Guard

Vin 494475H913983 I never found a way to unscramble the vin The tranny is BS 65 1660 261 not sure either

That all I got! Jim F

E = EZI glass all windows

X = Power windows

T= Power seats

S= Remote trunk release

2K = A/C

2R = Rear seat speaker

3T = Rear arm rest

4F = Remote mirror

5K = Door guards

5W = Seat belts w/ retractors

Everything but the 3T is on the ROA's website. I didn't remember it but found it doing a search of this forum. Lot's more information there than you'll have questions for. An ROA membership and a chassis manual will get your farther than anything. Cheapest investment you can make on your car. The link to the ROA is in my signature; here's the one for membership: https://secure.netsolhost.com/rivowners.org/apply_form/membershipform_check_mo.php

Ed

Ed I did join 2 weeks ago! The membership card and info came this afternoon! I thought the ETXS meant exteriors? DUH!

I still cant find out what the VIN means. I have read almost everything on several sites too. I always research before I ask any questions. Thanks for that. Jim

1st digit - 4, is for the Buick Motor Company

2nd and 3rd digits - model - 94 = Riviera

4th and 5th digits - body style - 47 = 2dr hardtop

6th digit - year - 5 = 1965

7th digit - assemble plant - H = Flint

last 6 digits - basic production number (all Buicks) starting w/ 100001.

Courtesty of the TeamBuick web site.

Ed

Tom Mooney wrote above how a lot of items did not match. I cam across this factory picture from 1965 today and notice how even the "perfect factory" picture show a glove box that does not match!post-98875-143142435666_thumb.jpg