Rear end question

Guest J. C. Andersson

Guest J. C. Andersson

Hi All,

After been searching the net for information about what third member I can use as replacement on my '47 Streamliner, I decided to ask the question in a way that fits my own situation instead of trying to follow all others issues because it usually ends up in a confused state where the answers tend to be drifting towards newer axles. :confused:

Here goes: I would like to replace my 4.30:1 gear to one in the 3.08:1 - 3.42:1 range. Can someone confirm that I can use a third member from Pontiac up to 1956 as a direct replacement? Or is it possible to use an Olds dito? Some say that Olds have ten splines up to 1956, others say 1952.

The best case scenario would be if someone in Sweden reads this, and have one for sale...:cool:

Thanks in advance,

Jan C. Andersson

hi jan, you can use third member from Pontiacs up to 1956, both olds and Pontiac changed to the new 9.3 rear end in 1957, olds with 31 spline axles, Pontiac with 29 spline axles. I have a 1953 Pontiac complete rear end with the 3.08 ratio, and I will be changing it out for a 1954 Pontiac rear end with the 3.23 ratio. do you know of a guy named tron or another guy named gunner ?, they are always shipping to Sweden and Norway cars and parts from the states. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor.

Guest J. C. Andersson

Hi Charles,

I have been reading several of your posts and are truly impressed by your knowledge of the old Pontiacs and your friendly answers to peoples questions here! Trond are a fairly common name in Norway and Gunnar is a widely spread name both in Norway as well as in Sweden. I will ask around a bit to see if I can locate them or someone else that might be able to help me out if we are getting to business. What would your price be for your third member if you take it out? Or do you rather want to get rid of the whole axle? I have another '47 rear-end for spare parts, so it's mainly the third member I'm looking for. Let's see what the total cost shipping included will be and then see if it's affordable for me.

In the meantime, thank you for your fast answer, and a good day to you!

Jan Christer Andersson

Guest J. C. Andersson

Charles, Is the axle/pumpkin ok to put right in, or do I need to work on it? And when can it be availible? The shipping cost scares me a little. If the total cost gets over what the same thing would cost me here in Sweden, I might have to pass on your fine offer. I am currently looking around to see if there is someone who can help me out with the transportation over the pond. I looked at a few companies but it was not any acceptable rates. I have a couple of friends that might have a corner left in a container, can I get back to you in a few days when I have checked with them?

Jan Christer Andersson

• 5 years later...

Hi. I'm looking for ANY information on the differential of my 1939 pontiac deluxe 8. It's geared very low and i would like to be able to to go over 50mph without destroying the car.

Are there anything that could be interchanged to give this old lady longer legs? Thanks.

I think those might be hard gears to find.

I am going through the same thing with a 1936 Master Six, and I could tell you all about that, but it takes different gears than yours. There was a major change in 37.

Pontiac typically offered about 3 gear ratios, all of them sort of low. Getting the highest one ("plains gears" as Pontiac called them) would be an improvement if you have one of the others. You might P.M. Kurt Kelsey (KornKurt on this forum), and see if he knows where any plains gears are.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)