A 6 Volt Generator Question

Curti

Well, how did you check for a short? With the brushes touching the commutator, you will have a dead short. Place a piece of paper under each brush to see if the short goes away. if so, That's your problem.... Seriously, there are many things that can cause it... Brushes touching the frame, wire from the brush loose, insulating bushing at the post is gone... so on...

Frank

With the brushes touching the commutator, you will have a dead short.

Well, I didn't think of that! This is a body off restoration that I am in the process of sorting. I put the generator on the car, started it, and it didn't deflect the amp meter at all. The possibility exists that the amp gauge is defective so I put another amp gauge in line and proved that the generator was not charging. I removed the generator and motored it. Not only did it motor, but it spins at 2-3 times the RPM I would expect it to. I am better at trouble shooting mechanical that electrical.

You will probably have to replace the armature now; you have more than likely magnetized it. Generators are ruined very easy by spinning them with current - they are not designed for this. You are only supposed to "flash" current to them to polarize them. I have seen many people do what you did; & it results in complete rebuild of the generator afterwards. Sorry.

Dan Caswell, Minot, ND

Hopefully I can clear some things up. First off, you will not damage the generator by motoring it as long as it's not done for a long period of time. It is a very common quick test to see if generator functions. As a matter of fact, most rebuilders will motor a generator quickly to test and see direction before testing for output. Second, a generator can not really motor too fast. If you motor a generator without full fielding it, it will motor faster than if the field is grounded (full-fielded). Let me know if I can help you or further explain anything else.

-Jason

I did polarize it. Then I removed the cutout, and tried it again, without any luck. That is when I motored it and the RPM was twice what I would expect it to be. I will be tearing the gen down this afternoon and will be looking for a grounded field coil.

Ok, I removed the commutator end plate brushes etc. I found the field wire that cuts across was grounding to one of the long screws that tie the end plates together. There is supposed to be a stiff paper barrier there that was missing. I put it back together and tested it. It motors slow like it is supposed to BUT it turns CCW in stead of CW from the drive end. I polarized it + ground - to the single wire (field) that goes to the cutout. It still runs CCW. Maybe I should have polarized it prior to motoring it.

My cars are + ground. So I get a 6V battery , attach the + cable to a ground and touch the - cable to the armature wire coming out of the generator that attaches to the bottom of the cutout . Later generators have a FLD stud and a ARM stud in this case touch the ARM stud.