Insurance help

Hi all

This may not be the most appropriate forum, but I'm sure someone will know the answer?

We own a 1916 vehicle that resides in California and would like to take it on a tour in April for a week. I've spoken to a couple of the major old car ins companies and none will insure an old car if you don't own a "every day driver" registered in your name in the USA. I obviously don't own an every day driver as I'm only in the US 6-8 weeks per year and hire a car as I hop from state to state.

I know that many car clubs bring vehicles to and out of the USA for tours, someone must cover these cars as they must have insurance. So if anyone can point me in the direction of a company that does these either annually or "short term" that would be greatly appreciated.

Why insure it as an antique?

If you insure a $15,000 car, the price is about 600 to 800 for 1 year for a modern car with unlimited milage.

An antique will be about $125 a year with a set of restrictions including 1,000 mile limit per year. You are limited to no driving only in special events.

If you drive it for 2 months, the insurance will be prorated to somewhere between 2 and 3 months charges when you cancel the policy.

Normally, a modern car insurance amount is calculated using the car make, model and condition using a insurance price book.

When you get into a vehicle not in the book, they are lost.

Have you tried "J.C. Taylor" or "Hagerty Ins"? just do a google search on "antique automobile insurance" and you will get several options.

Also they may want to see the car or photos showing its condition.

If I am leading you in the wrong direction, with any luck, one or more members will jump on this and correct me.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I intend to do the Grizzly Bear Tour in Ca between the 6th 9th of April then drive to Bakersfield for the swap and back to LA so not more than a 400-500 miles tops. The Horseless Carriage Club entry form requires you to show proof of insurance which is fair enough, but I can get past this hurdle? I tried Grundy's as they advertise "world wide" but they need you to have an every day driver insured. They were very discouraging of my potential to get cover. As I say it happens nearly every day a foreigner driving a car in the US I just need to work out how it happens with insurance?

Thanks Russell

I think Huptoy was on the right track...forget the antique car specialy insurance companies, contact State Farm or one of the other regular guys, they have both antique and regular policies...

Don't say "I want to insure for two weeks", tell them you want a year policy and don't expand on that....they're insuring a car, not an event, and the cost shouldn't be high...good luck...

I have a different thought on the matter. Much of my information

comes from an article titled, "Is your Antique Car Really Insured?",

which appeared in the Feb. 2008 Skinned Knuckles magazine.

That authoritative article strongly advised AGAINST getting

regular car insurance for an antique car: "Most modern insurance

companies are not skilled at valuing an antique or collectible car.

You could find your classic totaled out by the insurance company

and a check in your hand which wouldn't buy a set of tires for that

now-deceased classic."

And if your antique is in the U.S.A. year-around, but just used

for a month or two per year, the same article very much advises

AGAINST suspending your car insurance for seasons of disuse.

You're not the only person in your circumstance, I'm sure.

Surely there is a way for you.

Mr. Holden, are there Australia-based antique-car

insurance companies that could insure your car,

even though it's in the United States?

And by the way, even though some American antique-car

insurance companies have annual mileage limits, I believe

they would waive them (if you needed them to) for

pure antique-car purposes such as you're describing.

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I spoke to State Farm and so far they have not said NO, which is a good thing, the girl in Bob Simmons office in Long Beach was very helpful and is coming back to me with a answer.

I estimate over the week 5th - 13th we will do about 400-500 miles, LA to Clovis the Tour around Clovis, Clovis to Bakersfield and then return to LA on the maps it is less than 300 miles? so I don't think we'll blow the mile restriction.