Need 65 Charging help this time.......

Guest onedesertdog

Guest onedesertdog

Morning everyone. After having fixed the water pump/ crossover issues on my 65 super wildcat, I'm on to the non charging issue.

I had the alt. checked twice while it was off and it passed. The alt. light stays on steady. Has a new battery reading 12.46 and when you start the car voltage shows a drop. Traced the alt. red wire, ok. checked the alt. blue and white wires to reg. ok. Ground wire hooked to alt. So, I replaced the reg. no bueno. I feel like it is the alt. but maybe I'm missing something on tracing the wiring?

Thanks for any idea's,

Buddy

Went back out and started the car and disconnected the neg. bat. cable, and it died......Maybe the alt. is bad after all?

Edited by onedesertdog
new info (see edit history)

Guest onedesertdog

Thanks for the reply Tom. If I can't get it figured out, I'll take it to a shop for an on car test.

I checked all the wires Except the wiring at the switch because I assumed since it started and the amp light was glowing, everything there would have been good. I will check for voltage input at the switch tomorrow.

Thanks,

Buddy

Even if the alternator and regulator are good, the unknown is wiring. Check voltage at each regulator terminal with key off and key on and running and record. Then do the same at the alternator for each wire. This would determine if any wires are broken and would serve as a basis for more in-depth troubleshooting if required.

Guest onedesertdog

Well, I got it charging now....

I replaced the plug and wires from alt. to reg. Put a new pigtail on the regulator. Cleaned up the alt. ground, battery to frame and body ground, and reg. ground.

Somewhere in that combo was the problem.....

I'm a happy camper now.:D

Coolant fixed, trans. fixed, charging fixed, one major fix left(changing over to a dual m/c and booster) then just the basics.

Thanks again for everyone's help through all this,

Buddy