'88 Olds transmission trouble

TexasJohn55

Thought you Reatta guys might have seen this. My '88-98 started missing 2nd gear and freewheeling on cold startup. It would latch low again at the stop sign and drive perfectly the rest of the day. When I dropped the pan, I found a large nylon thrust washer in the pan and not much else. I changed the fluid and filter and symtoms have not changed. Been driving it that way for 6-8 mos with no ill effect.

It is a given that it will need to be removed and rebuilt but I just wanted to know what thrust washer fails and causes that problem. Any ideas or experience with this on your Reattas?

My thrust washer failed two years ago and my tranny still works. What I do is drive it a bit harder in first to make it shift into second. But that is only when it is cold. Above 40 degrees or so shifts great. And like yours it is only the first shift of the day. Rest of the day shifts as it should.

My thrust washer failed two years ago and my tranny still works. What I do is drive it a bit harder in first to make it shift into second. But that is only when it is cold. Above 40 degrees or so shifts great. And like yours it is only the first shift of the day. Rest of the day shifts as it should.

Dave, out of curiosity would you try this and see if you still have the problem when it is cold.

1. Park the car so you don't have to use reverse to get out of the driveway.
  2. Start the car with the shifter in Neutral instead of Park to avoid going into reverse at all.
  3. Put the car in Drive and see if it shifts normally without hesitating.