Car Spotter's Guide to the 1958 to 1962 Corvette

Guest Magoo

On the 1959 Corvette the pleats in the seats run parallel to the dashboard, on the 1960 Corvette they are perpendicular to the dashboard.

Thanks, great point.

Great article. It has been so long ago that I almost forgot some of the differences. Makes me appreciate my '62 even more.

Thanks

Thanks, it's fun running down all these facts. It's interesting to learn how much I knew that was wrong.

Chevy actually had a lot of mechanical tweeks for the 1960 model but that's stuff you really have to look and know to see. I can't wait to enjoy my 1960 fuelie this spring if it ever gets here. Unfortunately we are buying a bigger house so I may have to sell it. So I'll have fun fun fun until my Honey sells my Vette away.:(post-43003-143142383187_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I like to forget about Corvettes even though I own a nice '71 base model convertible.

My brother loves them and he and I went through a '62 that was semi restored but ultra nice about 12 years ago. He had previously owned a '69 that was a car that he semi customised with new upholstery, different paint, etc. He then went to a Nisson 300 Z and then to a Mercedes 450 Sl, all nice cars. Then he got the Corvette "itch" again, and I got recruited. Thats when I started learning about numbers matching on Corvettes. At one time we were going to four shows on Sat and Sunday with the '62, a restored 63 Split Window, a '94 new with 6000 miles on it, and a new 2000 Vette, and after that a new 2003. Now he's down to the '62 (a 99.85 judged car), and his Tahoe.I'm an old car buff with two cars in the '20s, my '71 Vette, and a '85 Riviera low mileage and ultra optioned, down to the factory Motorola cellphone.

Now I dig up spare parts for my '28 Pontiac and '27 Marmon Little eight, but I'm old and happy! , and this winter all ( including me) keeping warm under wraps!

kaycee

Does anyone have pictures of the differences of the speakers between the '59 and '60. I had known about the seats, and I heard somewhere that there is a difference in the mirrors as well.

I hadn't heard of any difference in the speakers. The mirror difference I believe is in 1956-1957 Models. Something to do with either the screw location or lack of one for the head on the interior mirror.

Does anyone have pictures of the differences of the speakers between the '59 and '60. I had known about the seats, and I heard somewhere that there is a difference in the mirrors as well.

To my knowledge, the difference in mirrors is a '56 vs.'57 identifier. The '56 uses a thumb screw adjustment while '57 uses a jam nut. Shown here:

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2013/09/19/mcg-car-spotters-guide-to-the-1953-to-1957-corvette/

The '59 Corvette has a flat speaker grille that stands slightly above the dash pad. The '60 speaker grille has an obvious, pronounced flange around the perimeter.