How can I tell if my timing cover has a hole ?

Guest Rocknroll57

Guest Rocknroll57

I am trying to figure out if my timing cover has a pin hole, and if it can be repaired or am I better off replacing it?

By the way I have 2 pictures of the timing cover but I don't know how to upload them here.

When I replaced my timing chain and water pump, we had a heck of a time getting the cover off. After everything was put back together, we had a couple of leaks where the timing chain cover meets the front of the engine. On my 67, the cover was cast aluminium, and being soft, we damaged it while trying to pry it off. One new cover and $500 later, good as new. They are somewhat fragile. Got one from OPG and it had the bearing already pressed into placed.Live and learn, I guess.

Drew

The bearing wasn't a problem but it saved us a step/ also, some manufacturers seem to offer it with the bearing, and some without. Just trying to advise that a guy like me, not a mechanic, would have maybe ordered the bearing seperate, thereby having one extra.

I posted some pix of my front cover; you'll see the thin "ridge" that we damaged. We should have inspected closely.Oh well- good luck!!