Cab for 37 Coupe Express

drdon

I was on the phone today with a 37 Sedan owner (barn fresh) who is wondering about "converting"it into a CE. I was discouraging to him, knowing little about how CE's were made in the first place. I think they were sedans out of the factory, maybe were sent to a coach builder in South Bend, and were severed about a foot behind the windshield, and a new rear 2/3 cab was installed, along with the bed, and other accoutrements, such as heavier differential(?) and overload springs (?). I also know the doors are different than coupes or sedans, and the seat is not like any 37 car. Help out there?

Anyway, I think he would like some help on the possibility, and I would like to sell my 37 CE bed if he can develop a plan. Anybody?

Hi Don,

My friend Ken Voigt is nearly done building a 1935 coupe express having done just what your friend inquired about. I don't think the body work was all that difficult. It just takes some planning. IIFC he used the rear of an old international pickup, but I might be wrong here. If you send me your email I will forward some pictures he sent me yesterday. They show the completed cab. The box he built will be installed this week. It is one cool looking project.

brownsl3@pie.midco.net

Steve

Jerry Kurtz would quite probably be the best hands on practitioner of '37 CE and Dictator sedan shared components, as well as '37 President.

I believe Malcolm Stinson has done his own President to CE conversion and Richard Dormois has had one done as well.

A '37 Dictator was converted to a pick-up in Christchurch NZ during the '90s. The rear of the sedan body was used for the back of the cab, which was made slightly longer than the original to allow storage behind the seat. I can't remember what they did for the tray or bed. I expect they used the original front doors, so they would have to put the back of the cab on slightly further back than on a CE if they didn't change the rear top of the doors. The CE cab is starting with a cowl, which ends 100-200 mm behind the windscreen - you can see the weld right across when you remove the head lining. It ends where the curvature changing from up (above the windscreen) to horizontal (the roof) has pretty much finished.