Leaf Spring Shackles

MikeC5

I pulled the rear leaf spring links off one side on my '25 as it appeared bushings were well worn. A lot of wear also took place on the bolts where they contact the links. The links themselves don't look to bad but there is some egg shaping to the holes (0.015- 0.020"). I'm thinking to weld build up these areas and re-machine as repro links are $70 a pop. I'm pretty sure these are forged pieces. Anyone have any experience doing this?

With the proper welding rod ( assuming you are not talking mig ) than there is no issue assuming as well that it will no longer be a daily driver.

Weld them solid and re-drill the holes.

I am leaning towards just new bolts & bushings. The sides of the shackles where they ride against the spring eye and frame are a bit buggered up too but a little filing should take care of that. It wasn't easy getting the old bushings out. I had to resort to carefully filing down one spot along the length of the bushing to cut it through and relieve the interference fit in order to get them out. I may need some liquid nitrogen to get the new ones in...

With the proper welding rod ( assuming you are not talking mig ) than there is no issue assuming as well that it will no longer be a daily driver.

Weld them solid and re-drill the holes.

I would add that it is a good idea to have a pair of welded shackles drilled together and fit them as a matched pair. An alternative to welding ii to drill out, plug with good quality steel and then re drilled.

When you say 'plug with good quality steel'; if not welding would you overbore the hole and then press fit a steel plug? It sounds like you would end up with a steel bushing in there when finished. When over boring the shackle it seems you would have to size it so you ended up with some minimum (bushing) wall thickness so final bore of the 5/8" hole is copacetic (if wall gets too thin I think you would lose sufficient interference fit causing machining problems). I wonder if there is a rule of thumb on sizing the over bore (or calculation) to prevent such. Perhaps I'm thinking too much?

I think he is suggesting overboring it, chamfering all the edges, weld in a plug of god quality steel and then re-drilling. Prob. would be a better repair than what I suggested because you are not trying to fill a hole and have the perfect filling qualities along with having a consistent weld with less omissions within the weld.

If I were to go this direction I would drill the hole for a plug as large as I felt comfortable staying within the part not to close to any edge and as far away from where you plan to drill and make a plug the appropriate size of a high grade material.

Not sure what your shackles look like but with all that work though I would possibly just have a set of shackles cut out if you know of someone with CNC or possibly do the best you can yourself with some air tools.

That makes sense.. if using machined plugs I think it would be better to weld them in. Cutting new shackles from plate stock would also do the job but I would miss the nice details of the forging. I'm going to try re-using mine as-is. As long as I don't hear any rattles I'll live with it.

That makes sense.. if using machined plugs I think it would be better to weld them in. Cutting new shackles from plate stock would also do the job but I would miss the nice details of the forging. I'm going to try re-using mine as-is. As long as I don't hear any rattles I'll live with it.

Yes details of forging are also a concern of mine