1963 Riv Trans Mount

JanZverina

Anybody out there know where I can get a transmission mount for a '63 Riviera (Dynaflow)? I see CARS Inc. does a rebuild/exchange but I have to check turnaround time on Monday and I thought I'd check here on the forum first.

I'm also looking at replacing all three U-joints but I can source those locally. If anyone has any thoughts on those, I'd appreciate it as well.

Thanks!

I went to Rock Auto's site and looked at different years until I found one that had the stud on one side of it. 1978 was the first year for which I found one. It looks like it's a pretty universal mount. If you go to NAPA or someplace like that, just tell the guy you want a trans mount for a 1978 Buick Riviera with the 403 Oldsmobile engine. If it's in stock, look at it. It should have a stud on one side and a couple of holes on the opposite side. If you order one through them, take a look at a picture first. You might be able to get a look at one on the CARS website, but you'd pay a lot more for it, and you'd have to pay shipping and handling.

Ed

Addendum - I found this link w/ picture at OReilly Auto. In my area, it's a $6.99 part.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/AT+Mount/03234/C0019.oap?keyword=transmission+mount&year=1978&make=Buick&model=Riviera&vi=1021576

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Don't try to envision them being the same. The mount for the '78 bolts to the Dynaflow with the stud pointing down. You drill a hole in the center of the car's transmission cross member. The stud goes through the hole and you put a lock washer and bolt on it from the bottom. That's how the factory did it in '78. I've done this a couple of times and know others who have done the same thing.

Ed

Guest stevengiannino

Hi my name is steven i am a new member and i wanted to know how to start looking at cars and rebuild them. Where should i go to learn about this such as what books, magazines, places should i go to learn this. I know a little but not a lot and trying to learn more so any info would help thanks.

Don't try to envision them being the same. The mount for the '78 bolts to the Dynaflow with the stud pointing down. You drill a hole in the center of the car's transmission cross member. The stud goes through the hole and you put a lock washer and bolt on it from the bottom. That's how the factory did it in '78. I've done this a couple of times and know others who have done the same thing.

Ed

Thanks Ed - I picked up this mount at O'Reilley's this morning for a bank-busting $6.99. I'll let you and other ROA members know how it works out once things are back together. Much appreciated!

Hi my name is steven i am a new member and i wanted to know how to start looking at cars and rebuild them. Where should i go to learn about this such as what books, magazines, places should i go to learn this. I know a little but not a lot and trying to learn more so any info would help thanks.

Hi, Steven!

Welcome to the Forum!

I suggest you start a new thread with this question. It will get more replies and better replies than a question tacked on to the end of a thread about a different subject.

I learned to work on cars from my Dad. If that is not an option for you, try to find another person that works on their own cars and offer to help them to learn. Start with basic stuff like changing oil. My High School offered Auto Shop to students and (I think) offered it to adults in the evening several nights each week. Also look into it at your local Community College.

I will jump into the new thread you start.

Good luck with it.

• 5 years later...
On 1/10/2014 at 6:27 PM, RivNut said:

Buy a mount for a ST400 for a '78 Buick, drill a hole in the cross member, and you'll be good to go. Less than $10.

Can these mounts be changed without removing transmission????