Power steering cooling

D-a-n-i-e-l

OK so I am in the middle of plumbing my latest and last swap in with the F40 tranny. My question is how important is PS cooling and what are thoughts on using the transmission cooler to cool the PS fluid? This would clean up the front of the car a bit and I think would look better for presentation purposes. Oh and just to reiterate I do not need the tranny cooler as I no longer have a automatic tranny.

I don't know if anyone has looked into the PS cooler function. The factory cooler is in ambient air, so even in the south that is seldom above 100F. The cooler in the radiator is going to be as much as 190, not sure what the water temp is going back into the engine but probably 150+ The PS may need cooler fluid.

Guest Richard D

I agree with Barney, some vintage Fords came with a small P/S cooler usually mounted high in engine room sometimes near A/C compressor. Maybe you could hide it somewhere.

Good luck,

Richard.

Ditto on what Dave suggested. My wife's Chrysler has a cooler mounted low on the steering rack. Having said that, the best place is still forward of the radiator where it can get the benefit of fan air flow at low speeds and is a relatively clean area. Can certainly use a different style cooler to tuck it over to the side or wherever it looks better.