1951 Buick 6volt Grounding help

Guest Thuff51

Guest Thuff51

Hello All, </SPAN></SPAN>

I’m still having an issue with getting my 51 Straight 8 (6 volt) to turn over and now believe it to be a grounding issue. I’ve checked the wiring diagram which seems to match my recent hook up. Question? Other than the negative battery braided cable are there other grounds I should be checking? Below is a list of items I’ve done/eliminated: All I’m getting is the traditional “clicking sound” when trying to start.</SPAN></SPAN>

New Battery (Trickle charged to 85%)</SPAN></SPAN>

Starter and solenoid benched checked.</SPAN></SPAN>

New NOS correct 6 volt positive power cable (thick one)</SPAN></SPAN>

New braided negative grounding strap</SPAN></SPAN>

Also turned motor by hand to ensure it turns so not locked up or seized.</SPAN></SPAN>

As always I appreciate you assistance.</SPAN></SPAN>

Guest bobgould

The ground for the starter solenoid is the armature terminal on the regulater , when generator is not turning and producing a chargeing voltage it become the ground for the solenoid , when the gen is chargeing the voltage neautralize each other and no current flows, also prevents engageing starter when engine is running.

Guest shadetree77

I believe the only other ground attached to the engine is the braided metal jacket/sleeve that covers the temp. sending unit where it comes out of the firewall and attaches to the head.

.....I'm still having an issue with getting my 51 Straight 8 (6 volt) to turn over and now believe it to be a grounding issue.....All I’m getting is the traditional “clicking sound” when trying to start.....

Do you have a good ground.....clean bare metal?

I would try doing the screwdriver test (grounding the relay terminal, then jumping the "A" terminal on your generator) to check for an open circuit from relay to ground through the generator. What happens? If the engine does not crank (with a good battery, cables, and ground), your problem could be in the accelerator vacuum switch. If the engine cranks, it could point to problems with either the starter or voltage/current regulator.

Lots of troubleshooting tips in a Buick Shop Manual. Let us know what you find out.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Knew of a guy who was fanatical about eliminating every possible source of an oil leak on his car. Put silicon sealant on everything, even on the starter motor. Of course, this prevented the starter from making contact to ground, and it wouldn't turn over. Make sure your starter isn't overly painted. The mounting flange on the starter should be bare metal, and the mounting surface on the bell housing should be bare metal so you have metal to metal contact.