Should I buy these Rolls Royces?

Rusty_OToole

"Like Bhigdog, I operated a Hawker-Sidley for many years. The Hawker-800 version. When at school for the plane, the instructors showed a slow motion video of the landing gear retracting and extending.. What two parts could do, the Brits used at least 6 or 8.. it was an amazing video. And typical British engineering. A similar business jet of the same size and weight that I flew before and after the Hawker-800 had about 1/4 the moving parts in the landing gear".

HAW HAW HAW. Funny you should mention. I actually was typing about the 800's gear actuation in my original post but deleted before sending it. I tried to describe it but it was too confusing.Gears turning gears turning gears moving levers etc etc etc...................Bob

Don't want to HiJack this thread, so: the gentleman who owned the RR I drove to Florida owned a Sabre 80SC, I think there were only ? 10-12 of the 75/80's converted to the SC wing off the Sabre 65.

That RR was a dog for him. he's a hands-on guy, and he did not like the car.. he bought it for his wife, she liked it, and since she is a just wonderful lady, I was glad for her to have it.. even though it was a pain to keep up.

The RR got sold for one of the high-end Cadillac cars that came out in the mid to late 90's. I'm not 'up' on the Cads, but it was a nice car.

The Sabre went south of the border like most of them did, only a few 65's still in use in the states.. a nice, economical plane.

Send me a pm if you want to compare 'war stories' about flying.

Rusty, did you give up on the RR's? or are you going to go take a look and drive ??

Greg L

The biggest problem with Rolls-Royce is the hydraulic system. The problem usually comes from owners who neglect to service the system every other year. The Spirits and Spurs made after 1987.5 were 20,000 Series and hand some improvements, including the hydraulics, which makes them a little more affordable to maintain. The Spirit and Spur seem not to be developing the following of previous models. I have seen well cared for lower mileage Spirit and Spurs going for less than $12,000. A couple of thousand dollars more should get you a very nice 20,000 Series car which will be a MUCH better car than the 1981-1987 models.