25 DB Drag Link Grease Fitting Interference

MikeC5

I was fiddling around in the garage today and test fitting front fenders and side aprons. I have the car up on blocks and was turning steering to check for any interference. Sure enough, the grease fitting where drag link connects to steering gear box arm is hitting the fender/apron flange (and not allowing full lock turn to left). It seems odd the the fitting is pointing toward the flange. If I remove fitting there is clearance. Seems like fitting should be mounted on bottom of joint rather than side. I'm not sure if a 90 degree joint would clear either. Anyone run into this problem?

Mike, your problem is that you have the incorrect grease fitting (probably Tecalemit). The correct one is a short Zerk plain nipple type without a hexagon - the threaded body is short enough to screw into the drag link body from the inside without protruding too far. This is a pain if you have converted to Tecalemit fittings on the rest of the car and do not have a proper Zerk grease gun. I tend to disassemble the rear of the drag link each time it needs greasing. If you cannot get the correct fitting I would suggest substituting a suitable 1/8" NPT plug and resign yourself to the disassembly method for greasing.

Cheers

Tony

Mike, I checked mine on the '25 Dodge and I must confess, It is one spot I have yet to get to for restoration/ inspection. Seems there is a hex drive Zerk there, probably replaced years ago. I noticed the fender/apron flange has been bent outwards a bit where the original fitting would have crossed paths there while turning the wheel to far left. A very interesting topic!