1950 Dodge Tail/Turn/Break/Running Lights

Guest antgat15

Guest antgat15

Need some help with my lights!!

1950 Dodge Meadowbrook with working lights but here is the problem

Left rear tail light stays bright all the time (as if the brakes or turn signal is activated)

Left front running light stays bright all the time (as if the left blinker is on)

The turn signal switch works the right side turn signal fine

The brake switch works the the rite side brake light fine.

All the wiring looks good and all bulbs have been replaced with 6 volt bulbs

Could it be the turn signal switch behind steering wheel or the flasher?

:confused:

Could be. Do you have a test light or multimeter? Are you getting power to the turn signal/brake light side of the bulb? Does everything else work normally?

A bad ground can cause some funny things to happen but in your case it sounds like the switch is at fault. I am suggesting before you take the switch apart or replace it, see if the fault is actually in the switch. Probe the wire coming out of the switch to the left side lights. If you have compressed air blow it inside the switch. If you know the problem is definitely the switch you will have to repair or replace it.

Guest captaincon

Silly thought time because I am new to American cars and don't understand the wiring systems yet but I would try this

is the earth good ? ( could be shorting)

if its a duel filiment bulb with the turn signal on is the other filiment lighting up ?(swop wires over)

last thought has one of the lights got a single filament bulb and it should be a twin filiment .( I had this on my new car and when I pressed the brakes the head lamps flashed as it was shorting through from the stop lamps )

Guest antgat15

Thanks guys

Rusty I will check those wires and I to have the air so i will try to clean it out.

Captain it is a duel filiment. will check this weekend.

Guest antgat15

Looks like its the Turn signal switch after playing with it the left side started to work. I am in need of a new unit but have not located one.