Want to buy 63 Riv Hood

Guest Pearville

Guest Pearville

Does anyone have a 63 Riv hood that is in good shape. I think I am going to have to give up on mine, it may be too far gone. Thanks , Mike

..... it may be too far gone. Thanks , Mike

Is it in bad shape overall or just the nose? A friend of mine bent some sheet metal and formed a new nose for the car of one of his customer's. He cut the spot welds from the nose of the hood and used a cutoff wheel to remove the nose about 15" to each side and about 2" back. Welded it in, ground it down, spot welded it where it was originally, and you can't tell.

Ed

Guest Pearville
Is it in bad shape overall or just the nose? A friend of mine bent some sheet metal and formed a new nose for the car of one of his customer's. He cut the spot welds from the nose of the hood and used a cutoff wheel to remove the nose about 15" to each side and about 2" back. Welded it in, ground it down, spot welded it where it was originally, and you can't tell.

Ed

Ed, With the prices I am finding that may be what I end up doing. I have very little rust extending above the leading edge. It all seems to be below but there's not much left. I know it can be done and maybe cheaper than a new one. Mike

Mine as rusty on the bottom edge but it had also been hit and bondo-ed right on the nose. I found the biggest issue was warping when I tried to build in a lower piece. It's a big piece sheet metal and it starts to act funny when it gets hot. I found a 64 hood and converted it for my use. If you end up trying to replace it, you might try broadening your search to include 63/4 and 5. There are subtle differences but they can be interchanged. PRL

Guest Pearville
Mine as rusty on the bottom edge but it had also been hit and bondo-ed right on the nose. I found the biggest issue was warping when I tried to build in a lower piece. It's a big piece sheet metal and it starts to act funny when it gets hot. I found a 64 hood and converted it for my use. If you end up trying to replace it, you might try broadening your search to include 63/4 and 5. There are subtle differences but they can be interchanged. PRL

Thanks for the suggestions. I was talking to Glenn in Dallas earlier about a 64 that he has.

Guest Pearville

Thank you very much for that generous offer. I will let you know if I need you. Thanks again, you guys are great. God bless and have a great day. Mike

Guest Pearville
OK Mike: Just out of curiosity, what prices were you quoted? Mitch

Just made a deal from a seller in CA.

Hood

Hood Coin emblem

Grill center section

Left side tail panel

Shipping included from CA to Tx $800.00 Please don't tell me I paid too much. The other price I got was $750 for the hood alone.

Well, if it is indeed a solid no rust hood, those certainly are hard to come by, so it comes down to supply and demand. After a month, you'll forget the cost, and enjoy a rust free hood. :)

Guest Pearville
Mike if you like your riv as much as i do-i try to think of it as if i needed a new hood for a new comaro,what would that run.T.Nugent...

Thats the way I try to think of it too. It's not as bad as my motorhome I sold this year. We enjoyed it for many years and had lots of fun, but it cost $25,000 to get rid of it. You've got to pay to play.

Guest REX STALLION
Yes, Have you dealt with him before?

Many times, I live on the west coast of Canada so the shipping was reasonable . Always got good service/parts.

Guest Pearville
Many times, I live on the west coast of Canada so the shipping was reasonable . Always got good service/parts.

Thanks, Gives me more confidence to know you had good relationship.

The only difference is where the hood ornament attaches. The '63 hood has a small hole that is parallel to the surface of the spear; the '64 has a slot that is vertical for the standup ornament for the '64. The spear covers any differences and you can probably massage either one to work on the other year.

If you've got a little time, I'll try to get pictures of each and get them posted in a couple of days. If it slips my mind, feel free to awaken me.

Ed

Guest Pearville
My 63 is wearing a 64 hood. The 63 spear fits right over the vertical hole Ed is referring to. No mods needed. Looks great. Don't tell anybody. PRL

I would never tell, thanks for the info.