Carb Problem GMC truck

jpage

A freind of mine has a '50 GMC 11/2 ton truck with a 6 cyl engine. He has had the carb rebuilt and the truck idles well but upon acceleration it hesitates, coughs and then it will run. Can anyone give some reasons for this. I think maybe a bad accelerator pump. It makes a low geared truck very hard to drive as you loose to many rpms waiting for the carb to kick in between shifts. Also ,there is a heavy rattling noise coming from the bell housing whenever the clutch is depressed. The noise stops when the clutch is let out. Could that be the thowout bearing going? Thanks in advance Jim

Among the things to consider are (1) carburetor accelerator pump, (2) leaking vacuum advance diaphragm on the distributor, (3) vacuum leak somewhere, intake manifold gaskets, wiper motor, etc., (4) ignition timing. Or some combination of those. First thing I'd do after checking the ignition timing and the vacuum advance diaphragm is to put a vacuum gauge on and check manifold vacuum. Very easy to check the accelerator pump, just hold the choke valve open and stroke the carb linkage a few times.

The noise from the bellhousing sounds like a classic throwout bearing problem. The carb hesitation sounds like a classic accelerator pump problem. That's usually an adjustment that's required after rebuilding. Also, does this truck have a governor? That adds another variable.

I'll leave the noise to others.

Often, a hesitation from idle is caused by setting the idle mixture way too rich (setting for the highest vacuum), and then diagnosed as a defective accelerator pump.

Start the engine

Stop the engine

Remove the air cleaner

Hold the choke butterfly open

While looking down the throat of the carb (engine off!), quickly work the throttle from closed to open

Good pump - good squirt of fuel

Bad pump - weak or no squirt of fuel

Testing is always superior to guessing.

Assuming the pump is good, Owen_Dyneto's list is very good.

Jon.