Remedy for stuck spark plugs

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

The spark plugs have been in my "new" 1922 Buick since it was parked in 1945.

I sprayed the plugs with PB Blaster & left it sit overnight.

I tried to tighten them just a bit and then counterclockwise.

(2) were very tight but came out.

(2) were very tight and refuse to come out. I am afraid if I turn any harder I will break them off.

Any suggestions? I will try anything to keep from breaking them off!

Thanks in advance!

Dwight

post-63449-143142247292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight Romberger
added pic (see edit history)

You could heat them with a torch and try again.

Broken plugs are not that big a deal. Thousands of Chev V8s from the 70s and 80s have had broken plugs due to defective design (paper thin spark plugs). When one breaks off it is a simple matter to heat the remaining shell and take it out with an Easy out.

If it comes to that... get the square easy out NOT the left hand thread kind. Heat the shell red with a torch and tap the easy out in with one light tap of a hammer. It will unscrew easily.

PS your engine may have 2 piece spark plugs. If you can take out the insulator you can do a thorough job of heating the plug from the inside and it should come right out.

Hey Dwight, As I see, you don't have the take apart plugs. The rust is probably underneath, in the combustion chamber on the end of the plugs. Rusty's advice is a good one with the heat. OR, since you got two out, just spray more, wait more and try again with the wrench. try to use a 6 point, not a 12 point socket. This is a job of patience. P.S.-- How is the overhead rocker assembly lubed? I know later Buicks had a pressure pipe on one end of the rocker pipe but I don't see one here.---Pete

Patience, heat, patience, more heat, more patience. Use ATF mixed with Acetone 50/50. Heat the head and plug, and squirt on the ATF mix to cool the spark plug, let it sit a day..

Another option is to add ATF/Acetone mix into the cylinder through an open intake valve or exhaust valve, rotate the engine so the ATF is covering the end of the spark plug, You may have to bleed air out of the cylinder by tapping on a valve to relieve pressure..

If the engine is stuck, you can still fill the cylinder with ATF via a valve and a tube, Having the penetrant on the inside as well as on the outside often does the trick..

But, 99% of the time, it's heat and patience.

Greg L

• 2 weeks later...