Disc wheels replacement with wood wheels

bifda

I have a 1926 ER Standard 6 which is currently on 20" disc wheels, I am wanting to change over to wood wheels and was wondering are they a direct replacement or do I need to change the hubs as well. Is there anything else which will need swapping?

Like I mention the wheels are currently 20" discs, upon looking on the net it says that an ER standard 6 should have 21" wheels, is this right, has my car got Special 6 wheels fitted?

Are the brake drums the same size between the 20" and 21" wheels?

Does anyone have any wood wheels for sale that would be suitable for my car 20" or 21"? Also are the rims the same whether the car has wood or disc wheels assume that both are the same diameter? If they are I can settle for just 4 20" wood wheels.

Regards

Wayne

Edited by bifda (see edit history)

The size of tires changed midway through production according to the parts book. The breaks size were at car # 1,329,764 for painted wooden wheels and 1,330,195 for natural wood wheels. The tire size prior to this was 31 by 5.25 after this it was 30 by 5.25.

The disc wheels changes are murkier. There seem to be 3 types. 122580 was before serial number 1,332,858 31 by 5.25. Then part number 124357 30 by 5.25 was before 1,346,101. There was a third disc wheel also of the 31 by 5.25 part number 125213.

Note:

31 by 5.25 =5.25/21 tire

30 by 5.25= 5.25/20 tire

Early standard sixes had rear brakes only. The brake shoes seem the same through out. Can't tell you if the wood wheels would be a direct swap.

The disc wheel cars had the four wheel brakes and the wood spoke two wheel. They will not interchange.

To add to what studeq has said, the steering geometry is different as well. Not only does changing to wood wheels eliminate front wheel brakes, it also requires changing the front axle, steering knuckles (spindles) and steering knuckle arms to accomodate the different geometry.

Terry