1929 Plymouth Model U

Guest Hauraki

Dear Hauraki,

Tappet clearance with cold engine .008" to check valve timing. Warm engine changed to .006" for exhaust and .004" for intake valve for quiet valve operation. From Plymouth Instruction Book, Sixth Edition, August 1929. Does not give torque numbers.

frank

Guest Hauraki

Thanks very much.

Dear Hauraki,

Tappet clearance with cold engine .008" to check valve timing. Warm engine changed to .006" for exhaust and .004" for intake valve for quiet valve operation. From Plymouth Instruction Book, Sixth Edition, August 1929. Does not give torque numbers.

frank

Guest Hauraki

Thanks Frank,

No response on head or small end torque, somebody in the good old USA must know?

Hauraki

Dear Hauraki,

frank

Thanks Frank,

No response on head or small end torque, somebody in the good old USA must know?

Hauraki

Not necessarily. I haven't seen any torque specifications for Plymouths prior to the mid to late 1930s. I suspect that a good mechanic was just expected to know how tight (by feel) a fastener should be.

However bolt and nut torque values are based on the grade of the material, the fastener diameter, and the number of threads per length. I don't think they had or used special hardened bolts back then so if you look up the torque values for the lowest grade bolt for the diameter and thread count in a machinists handbook you probably will not be far off.

Guest Hauraki

I accept I can do this on the small end bolts, but not the head torque as it is compressing the head gasket. On an English 6 cylinder it is 40 ft/lbs, will probably use this.

Not necessarily. I haven't seen any torque specifications for Plymouths prior to the mid to late 1930s. I suspect that a good mechanic was just expected to know how tight (by feel) a fastener should be.

However bolt and nut torque values are based on the grade of the material, the fastener diameter, and the number of threads per length. I don't think they had or used special hardened bolts back then so if you look up the torque values for the lowest grade bolt for the diameter and thread count in a machinists handbook you probably will not be far off.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kyronwalsh

I know this is off topic, but I have a 1929 Plymouth which was built in Canada, 4 dr in decent shape, but doesn't run. What is it worth, and from the looks of it, parts are really tough to find. Any help would be appreciated... Thank you sir...