Riviera Interior

60FlatTop

I am getting around to ordering my upholstery for the '64 Riviera from Clark's. I have asked before what others have done for rear seat replacement foam. I am curious whether the front foam will work in the rear. maybe a little coaxing. Anyone tried it or made their own?

Bernie

Guest musclecarfan65

i had my 65 upholstery (presumably similar to the 64) done and neither foam nor seat covers are interchangeable between front & rear according to what my professional upholsterer said. he custom-made the foam by himself.

i had my 65 upholstery (presumably similar to the 64) done and neither foam nor seat covers are interchangeable between front & rear according to what my professional upholsterer said. he custom-made the foam by himself.

The '65 standard foam and covers are the same as both interiors (standard and custom) for the '64's. It's the '65 custom interior that has different foam and different covers.

The foam is a typical GM foam that was used in the mid-sixties. If you note the part number for the front seat foam, you'll see that it is the same part number as for the Corvairs' seats - C-10805. The "C" stands for a Corvair part; most Riviera specific parts start with an "R." If you're curious, you'll notice that there are numberous other "C" parts in the Riviera catalog. This foam will fit almost any GM bucket seat produced in the mid-sixties. The '65 custom interior foam is a unique piece.

Back to Bernie's question: Does anyone know if Clark's front seat foam will work in the back seats? I don't and I'm not going to be the guinea pig.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Right now I have a black 1965 Custom interior in the car. I installed it in 1978 when I bought the car. It is in real good shape except the shoulder seam of the driver's seat has split. I got a Clarks upper left seat upholstery section to replace that. Once installed I will have a nice used black '65 Custom interior to sell.

I bought a set of correct '64 Standard frames, had them glass beaded and painted for the replacement. The foam is all 45 years old an fairly complex. I'm surprised no one has encountered this but I am a real PIA when it comes to detail.

I plan to order the front seat foam. Maybe I will do the rear seat first and see how it works out, If I screw it up I'll be the $120 guinea pig. If it works it will be worth it.

Told my wife I was doing it for her; if I croak she will have all the cars in perfect original condition and ready to sell. Its the best argument for spending money on the cars I ever thought of!

Bernie

Hey Bernie! Don't croak! You're a valuable source of knowledge. But just in case, could you post some pics of your wife.

You owe me a new keyboard for that comment. LOL..

OK Bernie: I'm assuming you are going to do this yourself. My upholstery shop put both sets in a 64 and a 65 and they were great. They stripped them down to the bare frame and repaired a few things and re assembled everything with new foam. Clarks really have a nice product. BTW, How much for those 65 custom seats? To 94552 . Any other components with that? Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)

I'm planning to do the job myself. When I stripped the seat frames for paint I thought about the excuses a "professional" could give for not doing the job right. I have heard too many, already.

What I will be selling, maybe early spring, will be a full set of perfect '65 custom seats in black. The upper driver's seat upholstery will be new. I'm figuring about $800.

If I croak you might be able to negotiate with my wife. Just watch her body language and don't push it:

post-46237-143142227874_thumb.jpg Living with me has made her a little touchy.

Bernie