More Winter storage questions

Guest Kaber

Hey Guys,

My son has a 1963 Riviera with a 2 speed Dynaflow transmission. I have a 2 car garage that if I dolly my Chevelle against 1 side and my Firebird against the other I an get the Riv in between. I can not however get the Riv into park because I have to push it into the slot because it is too narrow to open the doors. My question is, is it OK to leave the Riv in neutral for the 3-4 months it will sit there? I am assuming that Park is just a mechanical lock on the flywheel and the trans doesn't know if it is in park or neutral but I am not sure. Any Ideas? I have stored other cars in the "slot" but one was a manual trans and the other I could crawl thru a hatch and put it in park.

Thanks!

The Dynaflow does not have a conventional flexplate. The Dynaflow flexplate is a triangle that bolts to the crank and three places on the torque converter. The Dynaflow starter ring, normally found on a conventional flexplate, is welded to the torque converter.

The Dynaflow was designed to be able to push start the car if the battery is dead. There's a rear pump that supplies fluid to the trans when the rear wheels are rolled. In my opinion, you should be good to go with the trans in neutral for storage.

You might want to check a chassis manual for what it says about the only times L should be used in driving; it should not be used in normal driving. Shifting from L to D under throttle pressure is not good for the trans. The two gears, L and D, are not designed to work with each other.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Kaber,

The dynaflow transmission, like other automatics, has a parking pawl that locks the output shaft of the transmission to prevent the driveshaft from turning. That allows the flywheel, torque convertor and front section of the transmission to rotate.

Dynaflow transmissions used the conventional flexplate with the ring gear up through 1956. In '57 they went to the paddle wheel design when they incorporated the ring gear on the torque convertor.

As for shifting from Low to Drive under power, I have heard that. When I was a kid and didn't know any better, I drove my 55 wide open throttle all the time and nearly always took off in Low for better acceleration and could sometimes throw gravel! I never hurt that transmission despite throwing it into REVERSE at 40 mph when my brakes failed! It did bark the tires and hop around a bit but it brought me down to about 10 mph right quick and I then shifted back into Drive. Never had trouble with that dynaflow.

TexasJohn

Thanks Texas John, I knew there was a mechanical linkage to stop something from rotating. I couldn't remember what. I am assuming you think it is ok to store the trans in neutral?

Thanks Ed. Wow I did not know it was possible to push start any automatic?!?!? Thanks for the info, hopefully I won't need to try!

I have never tried it in L before. The previous owner did what John described and shifted from low to drive when we were test driving / riding in it. We just put it in drive and go, I like the no shift smoothness!

Kaber out

Edited by Kaber (see edit history)

Thanks Ed. Wow I did not know it was possible to push start any automatic?!?!? Thanks for the info, hopefully I won't need to try!

Kaber out

The early Borg Warner automatics used in Fords and other makes could be push started. The fun part was you had to get the car up to 15 to 20 mph to build up enough pressure to get the motor turning, I remember doing that with a 55 Ford, not too good for the bumpers on the pusher or the pushee!

I do not think it is an issue either to store it in neutral.

As far as shifting the Dynaflow from L to D, you can do a search on here because that question has been asked before. It is generally not recommended because the Dynaflow was not designed to do that. On an old transmission, I would also be afraid that you could blow the seals out.

Edited by 63 Rivi (see edit history)