63 Riviera stainless trim buffing

Zimm63

Guest REX STALLION

After reading about $20 to $30 per foot prices to buff and repair, I did it myself. It is time consuming but I am happy with the results. I used 320 grit on up to 1500 grit then on to the buffer. ( my bench grinder fitted out with a couple of buffing wheels and some compound) The dents were tapped out using small sticks fitted to the profile. Not for everyone but worked for me.

Cheers, Scott

After reading about $20 to $30 per foot prices to buff and repair, I did it myself. It is time consuming but I am happy with the results. I used 320 grit on up to 1500 grit then on to the buffer. ( my bench grinder fitted out with a couple of buffing wheels and some compound) The dents were tapped out using small sticks fitted to the profile. Not for everyone but worked for me.

Cheers, Scott

X2

There are some decent videos on YouTube that explain buffing so DIYer's like me can do it successfully. Practice on some scrap pieces before tackling the good stuff. Experience will tell you quickly to know where the grinding stone is. If you're not careful, you'll get the knuckles of your support hand in that grinding stone on the other side of the motor. :eek:

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Check with local chrome plating shops in your area. Sometimes they offer stainless repair/polishing as well or if not will know someone who does. Try to avoid mailing your parts to a vendor and deal locally. Meeting face to face with the establishment helps the communication process to insure you know what you are getting in quality as well as cost.

Also by not mailing you eliminate the opportunity of your parts being lost in shipment.

I've done my own polishing for many years. There is tons of educational instruction on the internet on the subject. Polishing a straight part is one thing. If you have damaged/dented/stone nicked trim making those repairs can be challenging. Often, if you polish yourself you can buy a replacement piece that is straight and clean and still be ahead cost wise because repairing damage is labor intensive.

For all the DIY'ers, especially 'novice' wannabee buffers -

Be sure and wear protective gear (...gloves, eye wear, dust mask, etc.), when your doing any buffing -

That buffing wheel can turn a piece of stainless into an airborn projectile in a flash, and it can also eat, or mangle a piece of trim pretty quick, rendering it 'N-F-G' !!

. . . don't ask me how I know ! :eek: