58 Buick Glove Box pad

1958buick

Not sure if this helps or not but this is what I did for mine.

"IF" your original vinyl is not cracked but the foam padding is crumbled and looking to be sagging, I took a Hair Dryer, heated the material and carefully lifted the vinyl from the metal with a small putty knife. Then I cleaned all the dead foam from the material and metal.

I bought a high density foam from an auto supply place with a 2" thickness and cut (with sizzors) the tapered (approximate) shape and length. I re-glued the bottom portion only of the material to the metal 1st with contact cement and let dry. Then I placed the foam in place which allowed me to test how the final shape would be, allowing trimming (which I needed) and contact cemented the remaining material.

I will post some pictures of the end result for you soon.

I now have to do the same to the piece on the dash side but for me, will work too.

Must say that your red '58 Buick Looks GREAT!

Thanks for the ideas. My original material was ripped when I restored the car and I used something similar from a local fabric store. At this point getting my hands on the metal type would be the best bet. Cleaned up and painted, they do look quite nice. I probably need to canvas some classic car junk yards that have a plain Jane Special with a tree growing through the floorboard that just missed touching the glove box....Thanks Again