My gripe for the day

retirednow

Just wondering- is this guys' stuff any good? PM me if you wish. When I do my daily search for '52 Buick parts, he always bumps his numerous items to the first and second pages. Rear Wheel Cylinders FOR Buick 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 | eBay Almost as annoying as those "Parking for 1952 Super only" signs Etc. Etc.

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)

Guest Henry White

I dont believe ebay sellers have any method for bumping their stuff to any page. Ebay itself may do so, but sellers have zero control.

Guest shadetree77

Dave, that guy is annoying isn't he? I search EBAY nightly and his listings (among MANY others) used to drive me nuts! Henry is right, they can't bump their stuff to the top. The way they do that is to list NEW auctions for the same stuff over and over again which causes them to pop up more often. Do you know how to edit and save your searches? You can get rid of 90% of the junk listings doing that and it makes shopping EBAY slightly more tolerable. I'll try to whip up a "how-to" in a little while and post it here.

By the way, I don't know anything about the quality of his products but I can tell you that the price listed for those REAR cylinders is really high. You can get a set on Rockauto.com for 5 bux a pop. The front ones are around $20 a piece. You should actually be able to get the wheel cylinders at any auto parts store too. The rear ones are around $10 a piece but the fronts are REALLY expensive at auto parts stores for whatever reason.

Guest shadetree77

1. Log in and go to "My EBAY" page

2. Click "Advanced" to right of search button

3. Type "52 Buick" into the "Enter keywords or item number" box

4. Scroll down to the "Sellers" heading and check mark the "Only Show Items From" box

5. Now change the drop down box to "Exclude"

6. Copy and paste the following information into the box right next to the "Exclude" option:

provenautoparts,carcoverman, covershield,thecarcover, vistatradings,partsamerican,mydiscountgarage,carpartdeal,usapowerseller, brakeoutlet,autoarmourauctions,thecoverfactory,seatguardsauctions,thecoverfactory2,theliztonsignshop,nordstromsautoinc,parts500,fordoldtimeparts,gmoldtimeparts

7. Change the drop down box under the "Sort By" heading to "Time:Newly Listed"

8. Scroll back up to the top and check mark the box that says "Save this search to My Ebay", then click the blue search button right above that check box.

9. EBAY will do your search and then a box will pop up. Type a name for your search in the box and then check or uncheck the box depending on whether you want it to email you all the time (not a good idea in my opinion), then click "Save".

10. To get to your search, go to the "My EBAY" page and click "Saved Searches" on the left hand side. Find your search that you just created and click it to bring up results.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

While it may exclude an occasional "legitimate" auction that you would like to see, when searching ebay if you include the following (-fits) in your search it will exclude all of those generic items that always say "fits" and then a long list of automobiles. That is how I often eliminate all of those generic listings that I don't want to see. Excluding the word fits in this manner really eliminates a lot of the stuff that I don't want to see.

As an example, today searching for "1954 Buick" almost 8,000 auctions show up. Searching for "1954 Buick (-fits)" only brings up about 1,500 auctions. I really don't want to look at all the ones with the word fits in them.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

I have been using this to search for 58 parts...I also click on the Auctions Only tab once I get the results.

1958 buick -fits -cover -key -manual -book -article -photo -accessory -keychain -chip -chips -postcard -postcards -watch -print -brochure -chart -spec -specs -kit -magazine -catalog -charts -ad -advertisement -keys -mat -mats -decal -filter -sunvisors -shocks -list -module -muffler -exhaust

• 2 weeks later...