Blasphemy?

Guest mstanleyfl

Guest mstanleyfl

I have had my '83 Riv convertible for almost 2 years now and really enjoy it. Of course, now I am getting the bug again. Am looking at and researching the early Series Oldsmobile Toronados (1966 - 1972'ish).

How do these cars compare with the Series 1 Rivieras? They each have their own "style" and I like both. Is there anyone here who can speak to mechanical issues and value?

In Lexington this past June, the Toronado Owners joined the Riviera owners for their annual meet. They've done this for the past few years and have an open invitation to join us on a regular basis. Depending on how big of a hurry you're in to buy one, you could see both models side by side in Colorado Springs next year at the annual meet. There are member of the ROA who are also members of the TOA but I don't know if any of them are active on this forum.

Ed

I had a nice coppery colored '66 Toronado maybe in the early '90's. I liked the car a lot. There were a lot of styling ques from the Cord on that car. A friend of mine had a '36 Cord when the New Toro came out. Phil Lanzatella got him to park it on the showroom floor with the Olds for the introduction.

"66 is the cleanest stle, straight grill bars, Cord style wheels. "67 lost the style with the egg crate grills front and rear. '58 got a face bar grille and things just got worse, fatter and uglier.

I'd buy another '66. I wouldn't consider any of the others from '67 to '72. Good car.

This could be my old car: Oldsmobile : Toronado coupe | eBay

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest merrillcrosbie

I wasn't in Kentucky this year, but I was in Monterey last year and the Toronados that showed up were absolutely beautiful. I never used to be a fan when they were new, but I really love them now. I would love to have one too. But, I am sticking with my 83 Riv convertible. After 30 years we are kinda joined forever.

post-80272-143142121695_thumb.jpg

Alas, I to have been known to stray. Local ad has a 1970 Toronado GT for sale in Indiana PA Claims to be a one owner, last inspected in 1981. It's green and in need of a brake line. He is asking $3900. His number is 412-289-1854. I don't know if I am helping or enabling........

I do engineering consulting and would like to try collector car consulting. Hold out for a better car that is currently licensed and being driven. It will cost lots less in the long run. All interested parties please send me the $400 consulting fee. Send a private message for my address.

Bernie

I do engineering consulting and would like to try collector car consulting. Hold out for a better car that is currently licensed and being driven. It will cost lots less in the long run. All interested parties please send me the $400 consulting fee. Send a private message for my address.

Bernie

Bernie, let me know how this works. I have done this from time to time, but never have been paid. I like it.

Here you go.

1970 OLDS TORONADO GT

Here's a link from that describes what the GT - W34 package - consists of. At the top of the page click on the appropriate package/year and it will take you to the section that describes what it is. A 400 h.p. 455. WOW! Hold on to your hats.

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofwmc.htm#WM%20W-34

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)