Help with Marvel adjustment?

Hi all,

My '30-40 has a "came from the factory with" Marvel T3S.

The only mixture adjustment is the air valve knob.

The engine rolls and sounds like is going to stall at all speeds.

It was running smoother before I replaced the fuel lines (tank to pump and pump to carb)

Starting with the knurled air valve knob flush with the pointer, if I turn the knob to the left/counterclockwise (leaner?) far enough it will hesitate and stop.

If I turn the air valve to the right/clockwise (richer?), I can turn it all the way in with no change in engine speed or characteristics.

Does this seem like a problem with the air valve?

(New points, condensor, coil, wires. Pulled all plugs. They are clean. Spark at every plug. Gap and timing correct. Plug wires separated from each other)

(Vacuum inlet for wipers plugged with brass plug. Intake bolts tight. I didn't have WD-40 to spray to look for vacuum leaks, but I used brake cleaner. I think that would serve the same purpose?)

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Re: How to adjust Marvel carb? 1923 Buick running rich<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

First, we must assume that the fuel & ignition systems are working and adjusted correctly. Generally, all Marvel carbs will run rich when adjusted to run correctly at idle when the engine is still warming up. Therefore, it is very important to get the engine up to temperature before making any adjustments. So, get out and run it around the neighborhood first. Start with the big knob even with the end of the tang that clicks in the grooves of the knob. Start with adjusting the fuel supply needle valve at the bottom of the carb 1 1/2 turns out to start.

With the engine warmed up and the choke fully open, retard the spark and adjust the air screw (the big knob) to the left until the motor hesitates. indicating the mixture is too lean. Then turn it to the right a few notches at a time until the motor runs smoothly.

Then, open and close the throttle to see if it hesitates or stalls on acceleration. If it does, then turn a few more notches to the right until the hesitation is eliminated. With this done, advance the spark and terrorize the neighborhood again, or take it out on the road and run it for at least an hour before checking the plugs to see if it is running leaner. You could also just mark the air screw to see how the new setting differs from where it was. You can try increasing the bottom needle valve to get more power, and re-adjust the air valve as before until you get the most from the engine.

Good luck,

Correct air spring inside the big knob:

post-41092-143142118969_thumb.jpg

Sandy will tell you to clean the jets. dirt and varnish can buildup in the jets and will cause the engine to run rough. Any time the gas evaporates out of the carb, you risk problems with varnish. Drive them frequently to prevent the problem.

Bob

Guest outlaw car man

I certainly will agree with Bob on that. My Marvel book shows, I think, 3 standpipes/jets in the 30-40. In my experience with the Marvels, the low speed jet is usually the problem, as Bob says gums up. I pretty much only deal in 33 Marvels, but my guess it translates to yours. I'd take it back to factory specs, clean the standpipes/jets, mainly the low speed with the concave top . Another problem make sure your float is set CORRECT. I've been using StaBil marine ( blue ) in my gas , have not had a problem in a year knock on wood- Bob's advice on running it frequently, take that to heart . Sandy

Guest outlaw car man

Just take you time, not much to these guys. Might consider a permatex type stuff to help reseal. I use a spray carb cleaner out of a shaker bottle to get into the small areas. My guess is the jets ore plugged, if, as it sounds, the Marvel hasn't been apart in your possession. If it's not to gummy, I wouldn't get to deep into it just because of gaskets. Don't break it to fix it ( my motto ) .I've repaired a couple 1933 jet tips by sweating the tips as a plumber does with a pipe. Again, check your float level, has to be perfect. Sandy

My 1934 acted that way after a long lay-up many years ago.

A good cleaning with carb & Choke spray cleaner (and some areas required a razor) - did the trick.

Just be careful not to do any more damage -- slow and easy does it !!

Old gas, as we all know, really builds up a layer.

• 1 month later...
Guest olympiagirl

Hello, searching for many parts for my step dad and he would love to speak to you about any resources you may have. He recently purchased a 1923 Buick 2 door coupe and he is unfamiliar with the internet. I just signed him up for BCA today also.

Edited by olympiagirl
had personal information (see edit history)

Hi Ronda,

Congrats to your stepdad on the new Buick. You will quickly find out that this is a great place for your stepdad to get assistance with finding parts and advice on his restoration. Most of us are reluctant to give out our telephone numbers as you should be in order to protect yourself from the possibility of unwanted calls. You may also want to remove your email address from the above post for the same reason. (it's the "Dad" in me talking). You can remove it with the "edit post" you will see at the bottom when you click on your post. You can send anyone a private message (PM) through the forum buy clicking on their name, and they can respond to you in the same manner.

That being said, I look forward to your posts for your stepdad and maybe this might be a fun way for him to get him on the computer. You may also want to post the '23 Desoto for sale on the Buy/Sell forum.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shoe1932

I also had problems on our '32 -67 with the low speed jets getting gummed up if I didn't drive it for a month. I have had great luck getting the jets unclogged by adding Seafoam into the gas and running the car in the driveway for a while. I have 2 young kids and finding time to pull the carb to clean it is not a great option for me. If it is the jets that are clogged, it will run rough for a while at first but should even out after 15-20 minutes.

Good luck and hope it helps