29 Dodge Brothers 1 1/2 ton

Trying to schedule a time to go see this truck and was hoping I could get some pro vs con feedback on it. The truck is a 29 Dodge 1 1/2 ton water truck according to the owner. Clean title but I would like to find out what is original so feel free to jump in if you see anything out of place. I have my opinions but I would like some feedback before I go look at it in person sometime next week.

Sure hate to see this one butchered...

post-69994-143142113603_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142113529_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142113543_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142113562_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142113577_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314211359_thumb.jpg

The only thing I see that may be wrong are the bowl headlamps or at least the convex lenses. I don't think any production Chrysler product had convex lenses until 1932.

These are from 1929 may 1st sale mans hand book hope they are of help. regards Bob

Yes Bob, they help very much.. thank you !!

I believe this truck to be the 150" wb (looks shorter and no duallys) so this would seem to make it the 28-29 ME model with the Victory 6 which is what I was hoping for. Even with the incorrect magnesium rims I'm thinking this is a rare bird ;). Still waiting to hear from the owner again to see if we can schedule an appointment to see it. As it stands, he's currently mulling over my offer for trade (no not the 30 Panel).

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I believe this truck to be the 150" wb (looks shorter and no duallys) so this would seem to make it the 28-29 ME model with the Victory 6 which is what I was hoping for. Even with the incorrect magnesium rims I'm thinking this is a rare bird ;). Still waiting to hear from the owner again to see if we can schedule an appointment to see it. As it stands, he's currently mulling over my offer for trade (no not the 30 Panel).

Great find. Is it located near you?

The truck is identical to my 29 model DE and my 30 DA 120-B Dodge Bros trucks. Same radiator badge and cab interior. The interior is complete: spark and throttle levers, gauges, wood steering wheel, and key in the ignition.

Noticed some patches on lower cowl. This is a common place for debris to collect and cause rust through.

The picture of the "Built By Graham Bros" confirms that Dodge carried this badge on their trucks for this year. The ones on my trucks were missing.

Hard to tell if this is a Victory 6 from picture. Generator should be on the passenger side.

Make sure the cab wood structure is in good condition.

The truck is about 30 minutes from me and I'll be sure to check the wood structure along with the other items mentioned in your PM. It looks like we may be on for tomorrow so I'll get those answers to you as soon as I can check into it. Sherman, where is the Graham Brothers plate supposed to be located ? I have never seen one in person.

Built Plate is on the windshield header. I just need its exact location.

You got it.

BTW the motor is free and he has the crank. I'm hoping the toe plate is still in tact and legible because he must have known it was a 1 1/2 ton somehow. He does not know where the frame number or engine number is located so that leads me to believe the toe plate is there. The interior dash pic does not show the passenger side well but I wonder if those holes were for a dash plate at one time ? I'll check for a generator location and engine number to make sure on the engine type but it's encouraging to see some of the main components there other than the carb and water hose. Carb should be a Stewart I believe so shouldn't be to terribly difficult to track one down. He mentioned turning it into a hotrod so I'm hoping to make sure that doesn't happen. Only one problem with this truck... where would I find the correct water tank :confused:

Engine is a DA 6 as is mine. Generator not on pass side. Good to see another early "E" series truck.

If it's a DA wouldn't that throw it into the 1930 or 31 range ?

It is good to see another E series truck. I'm very curious to know if it's a Stockton truck since it's out west.

I think if you look at the rear wheel hubs this truck would have had dual rear wheels, the two stage wheel studs appear to show this , good luck. regards bob

Yes sir, you and John have pointed out some subtle but costly things I've missed, thanks for the input guys.

Note optional radiator shutters. I believe my shutters are a match.

They were not an option but standard on this size truck

If it's a DA wouldn't that throw it into the 1930 or 31 range ?

No, I am working on the dates but certainly not

They were not an option but standard on this size truck

My 1929 DB model DE had shutters that were vertical and The logo badge says MotoGrad only. There was no DB or GB as shown in my earlier post. I think I payed $5.00 for this one about 20 years ago.

The 150 WB had three engine sizes: Victory 6, DA-6, and 2252. These are the ME 1 3/4 tn, , DA-150 1 1/2tn and OE 2 tn respectively. See attached file.

Book4.pdf

She's the 150" WB with the DA I believe, engine #H83-665. Frame # D187709. Owner has the extra wheels to complete the dually. Key is Independent and the cylinder is newer. Metal is very clean for this year of truck, history or "story" goes it was in Missouri and used on a farm for a water truck then he paid to have it shipped to AZ 3 years ago, that's all he knows about it. Had to scrub to retrieve the frame and engine number but with very little effort they appeared very clearly. Missing the underslung spare tire carrier, the top is home made but thankful someone at least covered it. Seats have a cloth material covered by some sort of leather, don't know if that was original. No legible toe plate, the BUILT BY GB plate is located in the very center of the header 1/2" down from the top of the header Sherman. Headlights are CM Hall lenses with WOLITE printed on top of the bowls (don't think any of that is correct). Overall a pretty solid truck, I personally think it would make a great beer truck but that's just my early thinking. Still trying to work on a deal. He want's $3000 is his bottom dollar (which I think is a too high but still considering my options) post-69994-143142117277_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142116981_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142116986_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142116988_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142116992_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142116995_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142116997_thumb.jpg

post-69994-1431421170_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117002_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117004_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117006_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314211726_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117262_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117264_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117267_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117269_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117271_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117273_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117275_thumb.jpg

Buckets are prob. correct lenses not. I do not think 3 is outrageous for this vehicle. Looks fairly complete, very solid. There is your correct vacuum tank and sediment bowl!

Buckets are prob. correct lenses not. I do not think 3 is outrageous for this vehicle. Looks fairly complete, very solid. There is your correct vacuum tank and sediment bowl!

It's a Stewart, looks like a Kingston but it's not.

If you look really close, you will see the word, "TWOLITE" on the headlamp buckets.

Thanks John, man my eyes are getting terrible anymore....

Look at the size of that rear differential !! The last pic is of his 39 International D-30 he gave me permission to post.

post-69994-143142117618_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142117615_thumb.jpg

Just some initial thoughts but something like this with the correct GB DB dark blue with yellow stripes on the molding. I'd want the stake bed to be vertical slats with two cross members and a removable gate at the rear. I think a BPS truck (Best Paints Sold) would be period correct.

:D

post-69994-143142117805_thumb.jpg

I sure thought the same thing when I seen it even in person, till I scrubbed the dirt off the top.

The bands are incorrect as well as the lid, if you compare them side by side you will see the difference. This tank may not be original for the truck since Stewert no longer supplied D.B with tanks as of some point late 28 if memory serves me, I would have to verify that still too be correct for trucks though if I am able, that does stand true for autos though.

It is however the rarely seen A/C sediment bowl from what I can see so that would have me still wondering if the tank is original too the truck.

I would take the opportunity to leave space for a placard of some sort just behind the cab as was a Graham trademark. I understand that technically it is not Graham but by all rights it still is.

I would take the opportunity to leave space for a placard of some sort just behind the cab as was a Graham trademark. I understand that technically it is not Graham but by all rights it still is.

Sorry Jason, you lost me again..... where is this location your speaking of ? I know the rear cross member GB plate is missing, is this what your referring to ? I couldn't agree more either way and I agree 100 %.

I'm still unclear on a few things guys if any of you can jump in and save me here... I'm unclear on the radiator cap, the front license plate bracket locale, the tail lamp and assembly, and the engine (would like to confirm it's a DA but I'm just to dumb to figure it out).

Edit: BTW I do have the dash plate soaking in metal rescue hoping something shows up when I clean it but I doubt it. I talked the owner into letting me try and retrieve it. He started scratching on it with a wire brush while I was there and I just cringed YIKES !!!! :eek:

Sorry Jason, you lost me again..... where is this location your speaking of ? I know the rear cross member GB plate is missing, is this what your referring to ? I couldn't agree more either way and I agree 100 %.

I'm still unclear on a few things guys if any of you can jump in and save me here... I'm unclear on the radiator cap, the front license plate bracket locale, the tail lamp and assembly, and the engine (would like to confirm it's a DA but I'm just to dumb to figure it out).

Edit: BTW I do have the dash plate soaking in metal rescue hoping something shows up when I clean it but I doubt it. I talked the owner into letting me try and retrieve it. He started scratching on it with a wire brush while I was there and I just cringed YIKES !!!! :eek:

There should be a thin plate on the end x member. I believe it would say Dodge Brothers. Your radiator badge is a match for mine.

Yes this is a DA. My DA engine #'s are H88314 and H79864.

You don,t see these for sale to often. Make sure the wood is solid. Woodwork is extensive and could be quite expensive. I attached a picture of a portion on the cab structure.

May two trucks have completely different headlights. I believe Chrysler Corp was interchanging parts when models were being phased out.

post-71470-143142118023_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142118038_thumb.jpg

post-71470-14314211805_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting those pic's Sherman, you really are doing a great job on the woodwork btw (please don't paint it, I don't like Oak but I hate seeing it painted even more so for what it's worth, but I understand why you would paint it if you decide, time period correct and all...).

I think the wood is very solid on this 29 truck on topic and I doubt any of it will need replaced. Curious to know if anyone has the rear cross member plate on these forums. I sure would like to see one up close so I know what I'm looking for....after all, I may need the same one for my 30 Panel as well.

My earlier truck had the can type headlight. The same as the 27 trucks. My 1930 DA 120 had the bullet type light. See my previous post.

I understand that about your trucks. I was referring to the bowl shaped one here....it looks like Plymouth or later Dodge.

post-37352-143142118087_thumb.jpg

Too myself also the tailight bracket looks home-made but again it looks like it has been on there a long time, since the tanker model was sub-letted the people adding that may have added that particular style for clearance purposes because of some add on accessory? Who knows I guess, cant see much of the lamp itself in the picture.

I do not believe the rad. cap is original.

Directly behind the cab within the bed portion of the truck Graham usually left a small area that was paneled in solid so that business owners had room to place there business name.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)