29 Dodge Brothers 1 1/2 ton

Duh .... ;) There it is in black and white........

Thanks Bob !

Just, curious.... Has anyone ever seen a GB prefix on any Graham Brothers block ?

This an Idaho GB farm truck. Note length of water jacket beneath the the horn. I believe this is a Senior engine. The wheel base is 182" and there are nine main leaf springsin the rear with six what I would call overload springs above it

<o:p></o

On of the top of the engine near the firewall is number GB A514-270.post-71470-143142125972_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142125956_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142125964_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142125967_thumb.jpg

Sherman, do you know if this GB engine has a block number with the GB also ? I remember you posting that last year, it's amazing how much there is to learn on these ole trucks. Does anyone know what happened to the posts from Bob ? He was contributing some great information, must have missed something....

Thanks Dave for posting the guideon the engines I wasn't disputing what you guys were saying its just that I have never seen a 2249 motor with any other prefix other than an S This forum is a great learning curve for all of us I know that I for one has found it very helpfull One day I will learn how to send pics and then I can share my DB2249 with you all Thank you Ron

Your welcome Ron. I understood you weren't disputing anything, I took it as you had never seen it before and I remembered Jason had sent me that chart showing the different prefixes in the past and thought it may help contribute. It's a shame because the IS that showed up on the chart I posted was for passenger cars, the chart Bob posted was the one we really needed to answer some questions for the commercial line but it has somehow been removed. Weird

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Sherman, do you know if this GB engine has a block number with the GB also ? I remember you posting that last year, it's amazing how much there is to learn on these ole trucks. Does anyone know what happened to the posts from Bob ? He was contributing some great information, must have missed something....

I do not know where the motor # appears. I have seen 1928 GB truck with a Victory 6 engine. The motor # FA1xxxx on the flat block just above the water pump. You will find this interesting. This 1928 1-ton Graham Bros truck was donated to the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum, located in Vista, CA, in 2005 by the Borra family, who originally purchased the truck for the Borra Winery in Escondido, CA. Later, the truck was given to the Borra daughter and her husband in 1944 to use one their farm in Oceanside, CA. It originally had a wooden water tank mounted on the truck bed frame. This wooden tank is still in possession of the winery family. They are planning to also donate the tank to the museum to put the truck back to its original working condition. In 2010, it was restored by other members of the museum, Bob Swaim and Phill Green, as a stake because the tank was not available during its restoration. The serial number is S112978 and the engine number is GB18199. This is a Senior 6 engine. Note the three valve cover plates on the generator side of engine. This truck was in a previous post. Do not have post#.post-71470-143142126577_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142126302_thumb.jpg

post-71470-14314212631_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142126313_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142126316_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142126573_thumb.jpg

Yes, I vividly remember this truck because I remember HBergh was kind enough to post some info on the carburetor for me. Very good truck for me to study in considering this 1 1/2 ton on topic. Very similar in many ways just as the conversion period of Chryslers take over kicked in obviously. Thanks for reposting it Sherman.

Bob, if your reading this would you please repost the page with the GB and IS info and confirm what the red truck was for Sherman. I believe it was the DE also, it would be nice to get that verification for him.

One day I will learn how to send pics and then I can share my DB2249 with you all Thank you Ron

Just trying to help here. When you hit the "reply" then when the box appears where you begin typing notice the 4th Icon from the right is for attaching photos. Once you have photos saved on your computer just upload them to this site from that Icon. Let any of us know if you need more help. As you say, it's been a learning curve for all of us so we understand how confusing it can be at times since not many of us have had much training on computers.

I have read ( I think in the D.B newsletter ) that the earliest/earlier G.B truck engine numbers were prefixed with a G.B.

I have talked with alot of G.B owners and none of them knew anything about this, the earliest G.B engines were of course D.B 4 cyl and their serial numbers or engine numbers ran concurrent with automobile so again I do not see how this would have worked out.

At this point I do not know what to think, in HBergh post he said ..........the engine number is GB18199.............I thought I asked for clarification/ picture of this, maybe I did not....I do not remember seeing this either way but I would like to see this. This question I have pondered on for some time.

I have read ( I think in the D.B newsletter ) that the earliest/earlier G.B truck engine numbers were prefixed with a G.B.

I have talked with alot of G.B owners and none of them knew anything about this, the earliest G.B engines were of course D.B 4 cyl and their serial numbers or engine numbers ran concurrent with automobile so again I do not see how this would have worked out.

At this point I do not know what to think, in HBergh post he said ..........the engine number is GB18199.............I thought I asked for clarification/ picture of this, maybe I did not....I do not remember seeing this either way but I would like to see this. This question I have pondered on for some time.

Jason did you read my earlier post # 81 about the Idaho GB truck? The motor # is shown on the head as GB A514-270. I believe to be a Senior 6 also.

post-71470-143142126794_thumb.jpg

I do not know where the motor # appears. I have seen 1928 GB truck with a Victory 6 engine. The motor # FA1xxxx on the flat block just above the water pump. You will find this interesting. This 1928 1-ton Graham Bros truck was donated to the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum, located in Vista, CA, in 2005 by the Borra family, who originally purchased the truck for the Borra Winery in Escondido, CA. Later, the truck was given to the Borra daughter and her husband in 1944 to use one their farm in Oceanside, CA. It originally had a wooden water tank mounted on the truck bed frame. This wooden tank is still in possession of the winery family. They are planning to also donate the tank to the museum to put the truck back to its original working condition. In 2010, it was restored by other members of the museum, Bob Swaim and Phill Green, as a stake because the tank was not available during its restoration. The serial number is S112978 and the engine number is GB18199. This is a Senior 6 engine. Note the three valve cover plates on the generator side of engine. This truck was in a previous post. Do not have post#.[ATTACH=CONFIG]206946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206948[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206949[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206950[/ATTACH]

THE LITTLE ROUND BUTTON ON TOP OF THE CARBURETOR IS A ZENITN ID BUTTON , THE FLANGE IS MADE BY CARTER TO ADAPT DIFFERANT CARBS TO THESE ENGINE , THE MOTOR IS A SENIOR SIX MADE BY CONTINENTAL.

THE LITTLE ROUND BUTTON ON TOP OF THE CARBURETOR IS A ZENITN ID BUTTON , THE FLANGE IS MADE BY CARTER TO ADAPT DIFFERANT CARBS TO THESE ENGINE , THE MOTOR IS A SENIOR SIX MADE BY CONTINENTAL.

With out viewing the button it hard to tell what model this carburettor is but by its shape it could be an early series 90 used on a lot of trucks of this time,often as replacement for the original die cast carburettors that were used as org equipment.

Edited by robert b (see edit history)

Jason did you read my earlier post # 81 about the Idaho GB truck? The motor # is shown on the head as GB A514-270. I believe to be a Senior 6 also.

Yes I did Sherman, thanks, that is not an engine number though I do not believe, I believe it is a casting number and quite frankly I do not know what to make of it, Graham did not cast their own engine components as far as I know.

Again I would really like to see an engine number with the preceding G.B identification.

I would also like to know when specifically ( specific date ) Graham discontinued use of the Continental in favor of its own manufactured engine. Obviously it would have been 27ish.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]207002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]207003[/ATTACH]3/4 ton,DA motor "H" prefix, frame prefix "S"-Stockton- DA-120

Same as my chassis. My S 115xxx chassis has the iron spokes and an extra leave in the rear spring. Does the owner have a build card or a toe plate?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks for post.

With out viewing the button it hard to tell what model this carburettor is but by its shape it could be an early series 90 used on a lot of trucks of this time,often as replacement for the original die cast carburettors that were used as org equipment.

Not disputing what your suggesting but, I thought the 90 series had the word "Zenith" stamped in the lower bowl horizontally, similar to the 110 series was it not ? Note the one on the 28 GB truck is stamped vertically. I've attached a photo of a 116 1/2 sample carb out of the 110 series. This carb as well as the Stewart mentioned in the MPB would have been correct for the 29 1 1/2 ton on topic. OR, am I incorrect in stating this ?

post-69994-143142127965_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting Bob

I am incorrect in my previous post. The 116 1/2 Zenith (pictured in my last post) was spec'd for the 2-3 1/2 ton trucks. The Zenith 114 1/2 was for my 3/4 ton 30 Panel as well as the 29 1 1/2 ton truck on topic. I only post this to show the different mounting options and the word stamping.

This photo is the Zenith 114 1/2 cross mount for my Panel truck. I believe the vertical stamping on the 28 Graham Brothers truck is more modern.

post-69994-14314212801_thumb.jpg

Not disputing what your suggesting but, I thought the 90 series had the word "Zenith" stamped in the lower bowl horizontally, similar to the 110 series was it not ? Note the one on the 28 GB truck is stamped vertically. I've attached a photo of a 116 1/2 sample carb out of the 110 series. This carb as well as the Stewart mentioned in the MPB would have been correct for the 29 1 1/2 ton on topic. OR, am I incorrect in stating this ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]207116[/ATTACH]

Thanks for posting Bob

I can not read the button from here.

I can not read the button from here.

Just tilt the picture forward ...... Seriously though, these do not have the button on top your speaking of. I have seen these buttons but not on the 90 or 110 series. The tops are stamped with the numbers and letter suffixes per application. 114 1/2 EX for example.

This looks to be more like what your speaking of and is closer to the carb on the 28 (this is just an example, not exact):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190880012444#ht_37wt_1045

Same as my chassis. My S 115xxx chassis has the iron spokes and an extra leave in the rear spring. Does the owner have a build card or a toe plate?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks for post.

Sherman, some information ,spoke to owner of red truck, it goes like this .There were two trucks, number 1, the red truck has no body plates, it has engine number H-106-476 and frame number 221-615 . The truck was imported into Brisbane with frame, and running gear and metal body to the windscreen, after this local wood body built in Brisbane. Truck number 2, could not be restored,used as parts, it had engine the same as the red truck ,DA moter with "H XXXXXX" number, frame number very hard to read but began with S--1--o---?. It had dash plate that was affixed in Australia that read:- Model D E F ,load 2000 lbs, max speed 35 miles per hour. Harden and Johnson Pty Ltd Sydney. Both of these trucks were exactly same in construction and parts from one were used on the other . :S: frame has been destroyed, engine remains ,will get its number ,it 70 odd miles away ,will take a little time.More information will follow but we poor people have to go to work first.

1928 GB truck The serial number is S112978 and the engine number is GB18199. .[ATTACH=CONFIG]206945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206948[/ATTACH]

Howard just informed me he will make a trip back to the museum in October and will see if he can locate the GB prefix engine number and location for the 28 1 ton truck.

Sherman, some information ,spoke to owner of red truck, it goes like this .There were two trucks, number 1, the red truck has no body plates, it has engine number H-106-476 and frame number 221-615 . The truck was imported into Brisbane with frame, and running gear and metal body to the windscreen, after this local wood body built in Brisbane. Truck number 2, could not be restored,used as parts, it had engine the same as the red truck ,DA moter with "H XXXXXX" number, frame number very hard to read but began with S--1--o---?. It had dash plate that was affixed in Australia that read:- Model D E F ,load 2000 lbs, max speed 35 miles per hour. Harden and Johnson Pty Ltd Sydney. Both of these trucks were exactly same in construction and parts from one were used on the other . :S: frame has been destroyed, engine remains ,will get its number ,it 70 odd miles away ,will take a little time.More information will follow but we poor people have to go to work first.

Truck one 221-615 appears in the D sequence of numbers. Detriot frame # D 231xxx is Dave's DA 124. His motor # is H 147 xxx. Truck one # is H 106-476.

Will be good to hear your other results when time permits.

Thank you Bob for your effort.

Truck one 221-615 appears in the D sequence of numbers. Detriot frame # D 231xxx is Dave's DA 124. His motor # is H 147 xxx. Truck one # is H 106-476.

Will be good to hear your other results when time permits.

Thank you Bob for your effort.

Ok, what did I miss ? Just curious why my DA-124 worked it's way into this discussion ...not that it matters, I'm just curious so I can follow along.

Ok, what did I miss ? Just curious why my DA-124 worked it's way into this discussion ...not that it matters, I'm just curious so I can follow along.

Look at attached file. I just wanted to note that one the two trucks Bob is referring to is a Detroit or "D" truck as is your DA-124 is. Note D175590 to D237361 for Detroit trucks.

post-71470-14314213043_thumb.jpg