Pass. Side mirror?

cool57

The '63 mirror had a head on it that could be loosened and rotated to work on the passenger's side. That's your only choice to get one that will match the driver's side. I've never tried it but I'm betting that you could get the longer manual cable for a later model mirror and connect it to your '63 mirror. That way you'd have access to adjust it from the driver's seat.

Ed

Guys, the side mirror on the DRIVER'S SIDE was an option in '63. No one was talking about putting a mirror on the passenger side. Yes, the '63 mirror is reversible. I am not sure why.

If you do it, you will discover that a flat mirror over there is USELESS! This was discovered by Detroit in the late-60's and they went to a slight convex mirror (Remember "objects in mirror are smaller than they appear"?). And you have interference with the vent window if you are not careful.

If you want to have a mirror on the passenger side, first find a round bubble mirror that will attach (with two-sided sticky tape) to the stock flat mirror glass. Then it will be worth the effort.

Many people mount the adjuster for the right side mirror in on the passenger door and ask their passenger to adjust it. Actually, with a bubble mirror, little adjustment is required. There are manual mirrors available, but they do not match the remote mirror you will likely have on the driver's door.

If you are not insisting on all Buick parts you can get a pair of universal round mirrors that appear period correct from JC Whitney at reasonable price. I put them on my 67 LeSabre and most people don't know they're not original to the car. My original remote drivers side mirror had something broken in the cable so that was the easiest fix for me. My cars are just nice drivers and never will be judged at BCA or ROA meets. Just a thought.

Chuck Bloomberg

Grapevine, TX

I have reversed one and installed it with the remote on the inside of the door. It does require some work with the door panel. Also the mirror would be almost useless until a 4" diameter fish-eye mirror is applied.[ATTACH=CONFIG]206375[/ATTACH]

Nice convertible!

If you are not insisting on all Buick parts you can get a pair of universal round mirrors that appear period correct from JC Whitney at reasonable price. I put them on my 67 LeSabre and most people don't know they're not original to the car. My original remote drivers side mirror had something broken in the cable so that was the easiest fix for me. My cars are just nice drivers and never will be judged at BCA or ROA meets. Just a thought.

Chuck Bloomberg

Grapevine, TX

Thanks Chuck, can you post a pic?

Sam, if you are considering replacing your mirror with a pair of universal ones first look closely at the location of the existing drivers side mirror. I used the existing hole in the door to keep from getting into paint and body repair. Then try to position the opposite one in identical spot and check for visibility from the drivers seat. You don't want to move the right one back enough so it would be noticable to someone walking around the car but a clear line of vision is most important. I have not done it on my Riviera yet, but it is coming up higher on the list of needs. I'm afraid the existing mirror on my 67 Riv may be too far forward to match on the passenger side. That leaves me in a tight spot.

Here's an Old Skool solution for right hand mirrors. I picked this particular one because it has a convex mirror instead of a flat glass mirror. I'm betting that some forward thinking individual could figure out a way to mount these so they could be used for driving then removed for shows/cruise-ins, etc.

Mooneyes Online Store - Specialty Equipment Manufacturer, Speed and Custom Parts for Motorcycles and Automobiles

Ed