1988 running changes

KDirk

In the process of working on my third Reatta (and second 88), I have noted some differences between the one I am presently restoring (#1134) and my other 88 (#3609). Of course, the suede seats and different horn button center cap are well known attributes of the early cars. However I have come across a few other things:

1. The map lights in the rear view mirror also illuminate with the courtesy lamps (with doors open, or with the interior light dimmer clicked "full on"). Neither my later build 88, nor my 91, do this. I had assumed that to be normal, but perhaps there is something wrong on my later 88 and my 91 that is causing the map lights not to work in tandem with the courtesy lamps. Anybody have input on this?

2. The halo lights on the exterior lock cylinders are illuminated by a fiber optic lead. On #1134, there is a special separate light socket and adapter-to-fiber-optic boot fitting in the door attached to the wiring race-way. I believe the later cars ran the fiber optic lead off the courtesy lamp housing in the lower interior door panel (the one with the red/white lens) as these have a socket to plug the fiber optic lead into.

3. The interior lights delay on exit seems much longer on #1134 than on #3609 or on my 91 coupe. This is a function of the BCM, and the delay time would be controlled by the BCM PROM. Wonder if this was changed at some point, or if it is just a fluke.

4. Some fasteners seem different. Where I would expect to find torx or phillips head screws on the later cars, I am finding 7mm hex head screws with captive washers.

5. There is a black foam rubber triangular "pad" at the two front corners of the roof panel where it meets the A-pillars, near the mounting point for the sun visors. These are covered by the headliner normally, but wonder what their purpose was as they are absent on my other two coupes.

Anyway, it is interesting to me to find these evolutionary changes that were made for whatever reason. Just wondering if anyone else had noted these or not.

KDirk

1. The map lights in the rear view mirror also illuminate with the courtesy lamps (with doors open, or with the interior light dimmer clicked "full on"). Neither my later build 88, nor my 91, do this. I had assumed that to be normal, but perhaps there is something wrong on my later 88 and my 91 that is causing the map lights not to work in tandem with the courtesy lamps. Anybody have input on this?

My '90 is the same as your late '88 and '91. When I replaced my mirror with a compass version, I looked into this a little bit. The wiring simply isn't there to make it work. I think one issue is that the mirrors themselves can be wired differently internally depending on whether they are intended to be controlled by a BCM or not. In other words, on a non-BCM car the mirror would be wired so that there was a 'hot' input wire, and then two paths to ground. Whereas on a BCM car, there would be two hot inputs and one ground. Of course all Reattas have a BCM. But maybe they did a running change from one style of mirror (and related wiring) and the other?

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I wish my map lights did light up with the door, not much lighting in the verts without dome lights.

In looking at the map light setup more closely, it appears that there is a second ground path on a third wire to the rearview. This wire is a switched ground that is active when the courtesy lights are active.

Mirror itself is the same unit, so if one wanted to add this functionality it wouldn't be too difficult.

KDirk

In looking at the map light setup more closely, it appears that there is a second ground path on a third wire to the rearview. This wire is a switched ground that is active when the courtesy lights are active.

I bet there is a relay somewhere to switch it - that may have disappeared by your later '88. To be directly controlled by the BCM requires two hot side connections.

And another change I neglected to mention: the back and sides of the seats are all leather, no vinyl! These were some costly seats between having the suede and being full leather all the way around.

No wonder they were changed, if only for cost reduction. Quite interesting since not even Cadillac had full leather seats in 88 save maybe for the Allanté, and I'm not sure about that.

KDirk

#828. oddities:

-Trunk latch did not have the spring to keep it from relatching. Open trunk, get out, close doors with windows up, trunk lid opens further due to air pressure, latches when it comes back down. Very annoying.

-Seatbelt escutcheons have four plastic pins and no screws holding them in place.

-No corrugated cover on under hood light wiring. </SPAN>

-Plastic channel for wiring harness on passenger side rail in front of engine. Not corrugated cover.

-I found a four inch square of carpet under the passenger side carpet next to the console. I have no idea what it's purpose was.

Vincent,

I have that extra piece of carpet as well. Looks like the floor pan carpet was slightly over cut around the center hump leaving a small gap visible with the console mounted. So, it was just a filler.

Also have the upper seat belt trim without the screw (snap fit only) and the molded wiring race way in the engine bay, but that last one is on both 88's I own.

KDirk