1955 Buick fuel pump

Mudbone

How do I Identify which pump is correct?

<o:p></o:p>

I have three pumps. The one on the left is the one that was on my engine and this is the style shown in the service manual. It has the cast cover. The other two have stamped steel covers. The one in the middle came off of a 55 century that I recycled. The one on the right was a NOS rebuild that said 55-56 on the box. The problem with the original one is the lever and shaft is worn out. The NOS rebuilt has a stamped lever while the other two have a solid steel lever. I want to rebuild two of them. I know they talk about an early and late fuel pump on the 55s. Any help would be appreciated. Mud

post-50945-143142009407_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142009417_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142009428_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142009438_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142009448_thumb.jpg

They all appear to be 55's. the cast cover is 1954-early 55

The stamped steel is for late 1955-56.

For authenticity, you should probably use the pump that matches your valve covers.

Use the cast cover if you have the "Shield" with no oil fillers in the valve covers.

Use the dome top pump if you have fillers in the valve covers.

It really doesn't matter for judging, although I believe the dome top actually is a little higher pump pressure for driving purposes.

They all appear to be 55's. the cast cover is 1954-early 55

The stamped steel is for late 1955-56.

For authenticity, you should probably use the pump that matches your valve covers.

Use the cast cover if you have the "Shield" with no oil fillers in the valve covers.

Use the dome top pump if you have fillers in the valve covers.

It really doesn't matter for judging, although I believe the dome top actually is a little higher pump pressure for driving purposes.

Mine must be early, I have the blank valve covers with one breather in the valley. The problem is the lever and shaft are worn into the body of the pump of the cast top one. I think I will rebuild the NOS one for now and work on my original one for the finished car. Thanks Mike for the quick response as I have a little time to work on it today. Mud