DB - GB TRUCKS

Guest chief4419

Guest chief4419

Trying to figure out what year our truck was built, The truck was originally and open cab School Bus and around 1940 it was turned into a Fire Truck. It has a plate on the dash Graham Brothers Detroit, that it is 1 3/4 ton truck, it has Dodge Brothers on the grill, has DB on the hub caps, eight spoke wheels, wheel base approx. 160 - 165, It was originally dodge 4cyl. and was replaced with chevy 6cyl. - frame no. E 144060 any help would be appreciated.

Trying to figure out what year our truck was built, The truck was originally and open cab School Bus and around 1940 it was turned into a Fire Truck. It has a plate on the dash Graham Brothers Detroit, that it is 1 3/4 ton truck, it has Dodge Brothers on the grill, has DB on the hub caps, eight spoke wheels, wheel base approx. 160 - 165, It was originally dodge 4cyl. and was replaced with chevy 6cyl. - frame no. E 144060 any help would be appreciated.

Just getting back into town and will need to look it up when I have a chance, if no-one beats me too it send me an e-mail jhason2@yahoo.com and I will get the answer when I have the chance

Late 27-28 according to grille shell

BTW I dont remember an open cab school bus model, possibly was sold as a chassis only unit originally?

what is special about the grill shell

The grille shell was only used as far as I know within the time frame given

Truck was built most likely 1928, ( possibly still used for the early 29 series ) originally carried the Victory 6 cyl engine ( what made you think 4 cyl ? ) 165 W.B and 1 3/4 ton as you noted, I think I have a parts manual for your truck as it was originally built.

You can contact Chrysler historical for a more accurate date of manufacture. If you need more info than just ask. What are your plans with it. Hopefully first order is to get rid of whats powering it now and look for the correct powertrain.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Was this truck from Sacramento area as the old pic shows? Any affiliation with California division of forestry as your name ( chief4419) might suggest?

Where is the truck located?

Not sure where Orangeville is.

Orangevale is near Sacamento. I live in the area and have a similar truck. A 1929 Dodge Bros 3/4 ton. I have a lot of information to discuss.

Guest chief4419

One of the old fireman which has now passed told me that it had a 4cyl. engine in when they got the truck, when it retired they put a 6cyl. chevy motor in it, and its nickname was dodgeolet. it was originally a school bus and they built it into a fire truck in 1940. One day it will be a parade unit with the 1955 Chevrolet fire truck we still have. Knowing the year i can start getting Booklets and items to work on it. Orangeville is located in Northern Trumbull County, Ohio on the staeline of Pa. My user name is chief4419, which I am the Fire Chief of Station 44 and was the Chief of station 19 at the same time. Aol email CH44101@aol.com

He may have remembered it as having a 4 cyl but alot of things can happen over the years, this large of a truck was avail with either the Victory six engine or the Senior six as an example, no 4 cyl in this capacity that show within my books which are period correct literature.

Guest chief4419

This is the response I got back from the Chrysler Hitorical Society.

Dear Mr. Foltz,

<O:p</O:p</O:pAccording to our records, your Dodge truck was built between May 1928 and May 1932. In this era, the truck line did not typically have a model year. Model changes were done as advancements to the line, not by model year. I have attached a couple of pages of truck serial numbers. As you can see there are six 1 ½ ton trucks available at this time. The difference in each of these was the wheelbase. If you can measure the wheelbase of your truck, you should be able to identify the exact model truck. The wheelbase is the second number in the engine code & wheelbase column.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:pI hope that this information is useful.<O:p</O:p</O:p

Regards,

<O:p</O:p</O:pBrandt Rosenbusch<O:p</O:p

Manager – Historical Services<O:p</O:p

Chrysler Group LLC<O:p</O:p

Trust me, the info I gave you is correct but of course I can help you to better understand how I came about it, dosent take a genius to figure it out, let me know

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but it appears this truck on topic is most likely the LE Model in the E series 165 wb with the Victory 6 originally as Jason has stated. Has to be either a 28 or 29 from what we know so far.

Nice truck Chief, what are your plans for it ?

Haven't seen many Evansville trucks so I for one am curious to what you find out.

Have you tried to send in a request for your build card yet ? They should be able to go off the frame number and if they have a build card on file for your truck it should state what the date and size engine was. I see you've contacted Chrysler historical but am unclear if they have told you that there was or wasn't a card on file for your truck. Maybe you can elaborate on that a bit for clarification so we know how to help.

Off topic I'm very curious to know the interior dimensions and thread count on your hubcaps Chief if you wouldn't mind ?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I'm going to look at a 29 today very similar to this truck. Said to be an old 1 1/2 ton water truck with the original six cylinder in it still. Can anyone tell me where the serial number is on this frame ? Mine is drivers side behind the front horn on my 30 Panel but I don't know about the 29 or earlier models.

Guest chief4419

I didn't know about the build card, but i will ask. The number on our truck is right behind the front spring hanger on drivers side, I can get the information on the hubcaps. The truck doesn't look today what it looked like in the pioc i posted, but someday would like to redo it along with the 1955 Chevrolet fire truck that was purchased new and still have, both are a big part of our history and will be parade units.

Thanks for the response Chief, look forward to seeing what size and thread count your hubcaps are .

Could be that the historical museum does not go back before 1930 but it would be worth a call at the bare minimum. Here is a link to the build card request form and other info Chrysler Historical Services . Just simply print off the PDF form and fill in the info, then include a copy of your title for proof of ownership along with the $25 fee and they may be able to send it to you if they have it on file. Call and ask first because from what I understand not all trucks are on file but if you give them your frame # they can go off of that to verify if they have it on file or not. Good luck !

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I'm going to look at a 29 today very similar to this truck. Said to be an old 1 1/2 ton water truck with the original six cylinder in it still. Can anyone tell me where the serial number is on this frame ? Mine is drivers side behind the front horn on my 30 Panel but I don't know about the 29 or earlier models.

Same place if I remember right........I am sure you will find it