Cupped Valves

oldford

I posted this thread below in the Reo section, but little activity down there. Maybe up here will be better...

Reo T6 Valve Question

I am in the middle of a valve job on this T6 engine and hope to get a question answered. The intake valves are in the head and are cupped shaped. I have never seen cupped valves like this, so I wonder if they are this shape by design or because of damage. I question damage, since they are all the same and the cupping is quite uniform, but the center of the valve is at least 1/4" below the rim. I have tried to draw a picture, but my skills are lacking. Any help from you T6 experts???

Frank

post-30765-143141999867_thumb.jpg

I had a T6 but I don't think I ever had the valves out.

Are all the valves like that including the intake valves? If they are, then it was made that way. Intakes run very cool and would not do that.

Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, I would compare the valves to a NEW valve. If a New OEM valve looks like that, then I would say that they are made that way. If not the condition that you describe is called is a Tulip Valve and is caused by an overheating condition. If I can find the one that I have around the house I will post a picture. It was caused by an overheated cylinder.

I have just heard from the rebuilder. These valves are that way by design and form part of the combustion chamber. The head is 2.5" in diameter (BIG valve). Luckily, they are all good and reuseable, 'cause the new replacement valve is $120 each.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cben09

This was not a good design to begin with,,,

Hot gasses and or carbon stayed in the pocket and caused pre-ign problems,,,

If you replace them,,,avoid this poor design,,,

Cheers,,Ben