Trunk Carboard Question

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi,

I am trying to locate the hardware that attaches the cardboard side panels in the lower front trunk area on both sides (they looks like large black round headed screws in most photos). Mine are missing and I want to find replacenments that are correct.

Also, I have noticed people describing their trunk cardboard as grey in color with a cloth texture. My car has black cardboard, with a smooth texture. I believe that my cardboard is factory installed, as it is quite old and has the correct staples. Was there different types of cardboard material used in these trunks?

post-93227-143141978492_thumb.jpg

Except for spare tire placement, '63 - '65 Riviera trunks are the same: Gray cardboard, brown tweed floor mat and tire cover, and an optional trunk mat. Trunk mats were available in either black or brown. As far as I know, no one is reproducing the clips that hold the cardboard in place. Personally I've never seen any of the cardboard with staples in it. There are some really close reproductions to the tween floor mat, but nothing perfect.

A lot of what you're trying to accomplish depends on how close you want to get to originality. Lots of nice looking trunks out there that aren't 100% accurate.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks Ed for the help. Actually I meant clips not staples. I guess I will keep the trunk as simple as possible, trying to keep it period, but not get too critical about the details - sometimes that takes all the fun out of this hobby...;)

Guest buick billy

I know my 57 special isnt a sexy riv, haha but when I bought my car it had little stainless screws holding little bits of cardboard n my trunk. I had no idea why they were there until later. I actually found a thread on this site that informed me of why. nice pics of the trunk there guys. I wish mine looked that nice. Oh; howdy btw I just joined this site too. I learn a lot coming here.

Guest dwhiteside64
Attaching a photo of the clips, and the spare tire bracket. Seems you could use both.

Hi Chuck, thanks for the pics. How and where does the tire bracket mount in the trunk? :confused:

Thanks

Ahh Yes! A picture is worth 10,000 words. 10 pictures of a pristine trunk makes that post worth 100,000 words. What more could you ask for. Now Mr. Dwhiteside64 just needs to join the ROA or post his ROA # along with his name. We're a friendly group, as you can tell.

Ed

Chuck, where does that piece you're showing in the first photo go?

Guest dwhiteside64
... Now Mr. Dwhiteside64 just needs to join the ROA or post his ROA # along with his name...

Ed

QUOTE]

One step ahead of you Ed - already printed out the application! ;)

I just drove up to CTC Autoranch in Denton Texas yesterday and found a bunch of truck stuff related to this post. I'm re-doing my trunk now. Found a bunch of the cardboard clips still clinging to the Riv carcasses up there. Not sure if they are being reproduced, but the ones I found are still good. I'm guessing most junkyard Rivs still have a few still on them. DWhiteside...let me know if you need some. Found the jack hold down spring. Found the clips that hold the trunk light wire to the hinge and the underside of the decklid. Also found a replacement for the actual trunk light. My original light never worked. Speaking of the light, is it activated by the angle of the decklid? How does that thing work? Also, does the attachment screw to the decklid need to be a solid...no paint ground...or is it just for securing it? PRL

I just drove up to CTC Autoranch in Denton Texas yesterday and found a bunch of truck stuff related to this post. I'm re-doing my trunk now. Found a bunch of the cardboard clips still clinging to the Riv carcasses up there. Not sure if they are being reproduced, but the ones I found are still good. I'm guessing most junkyard Rivs still have a few still on them. DWhiteside...let me know if you need some. Found the jack hold down spring. Found the clips that hold the trunk light wire to the hinge and the underside of the decklid. Also found a replacement for the actual trunk light. My original light never worked. Speaking of the light, is it activated by the angle of the decklid? How does that thing work? Also, does the attachment screw to the decklid need to be a solid...no paint ground...or is it just for securing it? PRL

Howdy, Pete!

Light assembly has a little mercury switch built into it that turns on light with tilt of trunk lid. It should turn off when the lid is about half way down.

The mount needs to be a good ground. Usually the screw is good enough.

The clip that holds the wire next to the light needs to be placed so that the wire does not short out on the trunk lid opening. That wire is hot all the time. Look for detail in shop manual.

One step ahead of you Ed - already printed out the application! ;)

Fantastic.

Now I'm going to hi-jack the thread for an Ed-itorial; pun intended.

I would be beneficial for every on who hasn't done it yet if you would go to the Forum Actions link at the top of the page, click on it, then update your profile with your location - general area or city - so that people who might be in your area can look at your car for you or perhaps let you look at their cars. It also helps if you're looking to buy/sell/ship parts. We also like using first names, like you do with your other friends.

Ed

Guest Lasse

I'd love to re-do my trunk also, but I have run into a problem more moral and philosophical in nature: I can not bring myself to pay ridiculous amounts for shipping cardboard. As you know, the trunk cardboard kits are oversized when shipping, and sending them all the way to Finland is a costly business. At least so they tell me. I'm used to paying a lot for shipping, and I can handle it when we are talking about unique or complex mechanical parts or such. But cardboard. Damn, I live in a country practically built on papermills...

Found a bunch of the cardboard clips still clinging to the Riv carcasses up there....let me know if you need some. PRL

Pete, I'll take some, eight if there are enough to go around. I will need them for both my '63 and '64.

If anyone is looking for the jack hold down handle, I made a couple the other day from some stiff wire. I drilled holes in a 2x4 for long sockets the same diameter of the bends and used drill bits for the tighter bends. Look just like OE stuff and easy enough to do. You just need one for an example.

Ed

Hi Chuck, thanks for the pics. How and where does the tire bracket mount in the trunk? :confused: Thanks
Chuck, where does that piece you're showing in the first photo go?

Hi Darren/Ed!

The spare tire bracket mounts to 2 studs protruding from the back of the rear seat, in the center. its hard to get a good picture, but this should help. Also, the tire should lay parallel to the shelf, pushed into the bracket.

post-65039-143141981461_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheezeMan (see edit history)

So, I've been off the grid all weekend and I'm just catching up on posts. I have eight extra cardboard clips. They are all decent. Ed and Pat...I know you both expressed interest. I think it takes 4 per car. If you guys are agreeable, I'll send you each 4. If so, send my your address and I'll mail them to you...it's on me. Also, my trunk light mercury switch is dead as Freddy Mercury. New ones are sort of hard to find, not to mention the obvious environmental issue of having live mercury inside. Had a hilarious conversation this weekend with a counter guy at NAPA. I was there anyway and thought I'd just see if they had one. You never know. I explained how the switch worked and he was dumbfounded. Finally, he suggested that I try the Lincoln-MERCURY dealer to see if they carried one. Crazy. Anyway, if anyone has had luck finding a replacement switch, let me know. Thx PRL

It is all built into the bulb housing, Pete. Just get another light assembly from a parts car. Make sure the light has power and the bulb is good. Check your ground. The switches seldom fail.

Pete,

I pulled a trunk light from one of the parts cars I acquired for a guy who turned out to be a tire kicker and never followed through. I'll send it to you in exchange for the clips. PM me with your mailing info, and I'll do the same for you.

Ed

Also, my trunk light mercury switch is dead as Freddy Mercury. New ones are sort of hard to find, not to mention the obvious environmental issue of having live mercury inside.

You can get a mechanical switch replacement from some lube-oil places. I got one that way. It is a ball-bearing type, not mercury. Some states participate in a federal program designed to eliminate the mercury in cars. Since my state doesn't participate, I emailed another state lube-oil place by random. They sent one in the mail!

Below is a ad poster from NY

http://www.glrppr.org/topichubs/pdfs/automerc/hgswitchposter.pdf

Finally, he suggested that I try the Lincoln-MERCURY dealer to see if they carried one. Crazy. Thx PRL

Now that is funny!

When I pulled the switch off the shelf for Pete, I shook it and if it will make everyone feel better, I could hear something solid rolling around inside. I'm not going to take it apart, but I'm thinking at this point that the trunk lights in the 1st generation Rivieras are switched on and off with a ball bearing or something similar. No Mercury.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64
Hi Darren/Ed!

The spare tire bracket mounts to 2 studs protruding from the back of the rear seat, in the center. its hard to get a good picture, but this should help. Also, the tire should lay parallel to the shelf, pushed into the bracket.

Hey, what do you know, mine happens to be there...

One less thing to replace! :cool:

Darren