Early Kissel Gold Bugs?

ron hausmann

All,

I just purchased a large lot of early Kissel Chassis, engines, frames, some body parts, and hoards of accessories. I thought i knew everthing about Kissels but this purchase has raised a bunch of questions. The first question is "Did early Kissel Gold Bug speedaters use the early 117 inch frame". I have two 1950's magazine articles that say yes, but period experts say no, that the Gold Bug only used the 121 inch frame from the start. Any help???

The second question is "Did early Kissel Gold Bugs use Kissel Model 6-38 engines?". Again the magazine articles say that early 1917 and 1918 Bugs did, but universally, the experts say no, Kissel Gold Bugs used only Kissel 6-45 engines.

I know this is getting quite technical, but one of the frames I bought is supposedly a very early Kissel Gold Bug on a 117 inch frame, with a ton of Kissel 6-38 engine parts.

Thanks RON HAUSMANN P.E.

Beyond cool, Kissel's and Gold Bug's in particular are definitely near the top of my list for early 20's cars. A much under rated era. Too bad they are so rare. Looks like a great project! Greg in Canada