Pre War Buick Trunk

Guest spokesman

Guest spokesman

Hello All

I have a vintage (circa 1920's) Buick Trunk. I was wondering if anyone would know what Model and year Buicks would have sported this trunk. It has a tag on it that says: "Made for BUICK by Howard Automibile Company Los Angeles" Dimensions are 36 x 14 x 14. Pics attached. Any input advice would be appreciated. Thanks

James

post-94665-143141957737_thumb.jpg

post-94665-143141957739_thumb.jpg

post-94665-143141957741_thumb.jpg

Guest spokesman
Dimensions of the trunk would help identify which series car it would fit.

HI Mark Thanks for the input. The dimensions are 36 x 14 x14 in inches

Guest spokesman
James,

You might want to contact Sandy (OCM) regarding old Buick trunks. His are '33's, and yours is a lot older, but you never know.

Mike in burning Colorado

Hi Mike

thanks for the input. how do I contact Sandy? and please excuse my ignorance but what does OCM stand for?

cheers

James

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199573[/ATTACH]

I'm curious about this too. I have a trunk from the same dealer that measures 36" x 16" x 19".

I have the same trunk as yours as well as the original trunk rack. I believe these are the correct Buick dealer supplied trunks for the 1930 60 series cars for coupes and roadsters. Possibly sedans as well but not sure about those.

Thanks,

Sandy's handle on the Buick forums is OCM (Outlaw Car Man).

He has TWO 1933 series 90 Buicks and has just replaced his "taylor" trunks with Buick OEM trunks, so he would seem a good source for your info.

Mike in Colorado

Guest outlaw car man

James, I think Michaelod got you answered- My stuff is modern compared to this, 1933. It appears like they have the side latch hooks that hold the trunk to the rack. Mine are connected to the rack with metal s shape hooks, from below. Pictures of it in another posting about trunks not long ago.

That's good to know. The trunk was not with my car, I found it on eBay last fall. Based on the size, I guessed it was close, if not exactly right for my car. As I understand it, Howard Automobile was owned by Charles Howard. In addition to being a very successful Buick dealer he was also the owner of Seabiscuit. Presumably, our trunks originally were sold in California.

I have the same trunk as yours as well as the original trunk rack. I believe these are the correct Buick dealer supplied trunks for the 1930 60 series cars for coupes and roadsters. Possibly sedans as well but not sure about those.

Thanks,

Back from vacation now, so sorry for the late response...

As far as I can tell, Buick used different suppliers for different areas of the country. Dealers also supplied trunks for customer requests.

Basically, a 36" wide trunk would fit the larger series cars. Some were flat on the back and some were curved to match the curve of the car body.

I have one that looks like a drop front, but it has a pull out to expand the capacity. It is shown in the sales literature to hold a ringer washing machine and several young ladies....

That's good to know. The trunk was not with my car, I found it on eBay last fall. Based on the size, I guessed it was close, if not exactly right for my car. As I understand it, Howard Automobile was owned by Charles Howard. In addition to being a very successful Buick dealer he was also the owner of Seabiscuit. Presumably, our trunks originally were sold in California.

That makes sense as I bought this trunk from a guy in the SF Bay Area (actually I used to live there myself). The trunk is basically NOS as the owner said that when his grandfather purchased the car new the trunk was already on it. Apparently he preferred the car without the trunk so he removed it and put it in his attic where it sat for the next 80 years. The original keys were still with the trunk when I purchased it as well.

Thanks,

post-63406-143141975208_thumb.jpg