Engine shudders coming to a stop, TCC not releasing.

atikovi

And if I don't come to a full stop and accelerate at 700 rpm it bucks. Brake switch is fine, in fact I went through the diagnostic tree in the manual doing all the tests and the electronic control part is fine. Must be mechanical. I even connected a manual switch and still the TCC wouldn't release all the time. Could this be a sticking solenoid? Can it be replaced with the transmission in the car?

The link below is about a similar problem to yours. The bottom line is removing some transmission fluid and replacing it with Klotz KE-930 oil may cure the problem as reported at the end of the thread.

I've had the same problem before with the Fiero I use to own and a Ford Taurus. I used Klotz KL-930- Racing TechniPlate 10W/30 oil and it cured the problem for me but the Klotz KL-930 is no longer available. The Klotz #KE-930 is reported in the thread (link below) to be a suitable replacement but I have not personally used it.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/help-tranny-question-247969.html

Not sure what a motor oil would do to the seals and clutches though. Wouldn't something like Lucas Transmission Fix do a similar thing and be made for transmissions?
I have two quarts of Klotz KL-930 in my Blazer that has been in there for several years. I've put it in all my vehicles. I'm not sure what it is doing to the seals and clutches. You might be right. The Lucas, or Seafoam Transtune, might be a better choice. If you try one of them let us know how it works out for you with this particular problem. The Seafoam won't hurt but I don't know about the Lucas. Never used it.

Keep in mind that I'm not making any recommendations on what to use in a transmission. I'm simply relating my past experience and what worked for me in an effort to help. Different people get different results with these additives and snake oils. There are no miracle cures for transmission problems.

A friend who is a mechanic at a dealership recommended the Klotz to me. He also said that Mopar sold a product that was similar, but more expensive, that would work equally well but I can't remember the name of it. He explained to me that the converter shutter and sticking problem is actually inside the converter instead of with the valve that controls it. The problem is caused by the drive plates and the driven clutch plates inside the converter chattering on lockup... or in some cases sticking together and not releasing which will cause the car to try to continue pulling when coming to a stop. I guess it could also be caused by a sticking spool valve.

I don't remember the names of products I tried before using the Klotz but I tried a couple of them. None of the ones I tried solved the problem. I hope we find out for sure if TransTune will fix a sticking converter or not. It can work wonders for other transmission problems where valves and seals are the cause but it can't fix mechanical problems.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Another symptom, the transmission doesn't have any engine braking. You can be doing 60, take your foot off the gas, and the car will keep coasting. Normally engine compression will slow a car down when you take your foot off the gas on a flat road but not on this one. Not a problem but just feels odd.

There is nornally little engine braking in the overdrive position. The car does coast very well. If you drop down to the second drive position (not 2nd gear), you should have normal engine braking. What year? 1991 is all electronic control, 1990 and earlier is all hydraulic except the TCC.

I checked the TCC release on mine last evening. It does unlock with throttle release at speeds over 60 mph. You may not notice the rpm's change by much, if at all, when the throttle is released since the engine is trying to go to idle speed. If you lightly touch the throttle, you should see the rpm's increase and then drop back down as the TCC re-engages.