Hood orniment from Packard. Do not know what year.

Guest LuckyBOB

Guest LuckyBOB

Hi. My name is Chris. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. What I'm trying to find out is what year of Packard this Goddess of Speed hood ornament is from. I've searched through google and couldn't come up with a good answer. Doing this for my father since he can't really see and he isn't able to look it up himself. I do have photos which are attached to this post. Thank you in advance for any help. It would be greatly appreciated.

post-94505-14314194805_thumb.jpg

post-94505-14314194802_thumb.jpg

Guest LuckyBOB

So, I'm guessing it's not original? He says he found it in the early to mid 70's. I guess that's why I couldn't find it when I was doing my search. That's kind of depressing :/.

Guest LuckyBOB

I found this one on an auction site. It says that it's from a 1930's Packard. The only difference I see is the bottom portion. I just don't know very much about vintage cars to determine for myself.

post-94505-14314194818_thumb.jpg

I found this one on an auction site. It says that it's from a 1930's Packard. The only difference I see is the bottom portion. I just don't know very much about vintage cars to determine for myself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198091[/ATTACH]

I see a few differences such as the extra feathers on the original style cap and details on the wings.

Guest LuckyBOB

Yeah, now that you mention it. I started noticing that the hair on the one my father has has more detail. Here's the link to the site with the images. You'll be able to get a better view of what it looks like. 1930'S PACKARD HOOD ORNAMENT "THE GODDESS OF SPEED" W/ BASE. This one that is in this listing for icollector doesn't appear to have much quality detail to it.

Guest Oldschoolgent

The base just doesn't look right, as I don't see a coin edge. Also, the late thirties had a different base, at least on senior models. Does the figure portion disconnect from the base?

I could be wrong but I believe this is a Jr. accessory pre 1939 at least. I think, '36 or '37, and authentic. I had a '39 which had the glass and if I am not mistaken, while slightly different, '38 was glass as well. I know at one point the Jr. cars were available with a hood ornament that looks just like this one. If it is as nice looking as it appears in the pics, your are indeed a LuckyBob, as the '39 is a $500 piece these days, I imagine that is similar in value...

There is a hood ornament section on the website Packard Info - or post your question in the Packard section below and wait for Owen Dyneto or a couple other regulars to weigh in, but as I said, I think you have a nice item here for either sale or as a keepsake.

Guest cben09

Is the base held to 'rad neck by 2 or 3 tabs,,,

Most Packards had an ornament,,,,BUT it was an accesory I think,,Ben