Intake Mani different with Iron Heads?

rockitdoc

The heads on my Dad's '41 Connie are iron. I presume these are off a Zephyr? Not a problem except for originality and compression, but the air cleaner assembly is shorter than the oil bath version that is supposed to be on the car and may be off a truck or something similar.

The oil bath filter won't fit between the carb and the underside of the hood because of a rise in the intake plenum on the manifold.

Was the Zephyr intake manifold taller than the Continental?

If so, I presume a shorter Continental manifold will be required in order to fit the oil bath filter?

I'll post a picture of my manifold in an hour or so.

Edited by rockitdoc (see edit history)

The difference in manifolds are 3 or 4 bolt only..heights are similar..I suspect your oil bath cleaner is not stock..they are very special and low profile

lets see some pics...after all this have we ever seen this car?? take 5 minutes and post a pic please..

iron heads and alum are also interchangeable...and many do..iron weighs three time as much but has fewer cracks than poor allow prewar aluminum

The difference in manifolds are 3 or 4 bolt only..heights are similar..I suspect your oil bath cleaner is not stock..they are very special and low profile

lets see some pics...after all this have we ever seen this car?? take 5 minutes and post a pic please..

iron heads and alum are also interchangeable...and many do..iron weighs three time as much but has fewer cracks than poor allow prewar aluminum

the most important part of that breather unit /air cleaner is the pcv tube that draws fumes from valve chamber into intake air.thus creating a draw of fresh air through oil cap..note, the mesh oil fill cap is a filter for air drawn into engine, not to plug blowby comming out!!

Correct air cleaner for 1941 Continental - Carb is out being rebuilt.

I'm ALMOST ready to drop it basck in the car

Here is the one currently mounted which had a dry paper element installed:

post-62942-143141949098_thumb.jpg

This is the one I have been advised is the correct oil type filter, but it is nearly 7 inches tall and will not fit under the hood:

post-62942-143141949154_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, the whole car:

post-62942-143141949157_thumb.jpg

Edited by rockitdoc (see edit history)

Correct air cleaner for 1941 Continental - Carb is out being rebuilt.

I'm ALMOST ready to drop it basck in the car

That one looks nothing like either of the ones I have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198172[/ATTACH]

Here's the inside of it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198173[/ATTACH]

and the lid

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198174[/ATTACH]

Scott, the air cleaner illustrated in picture #1 is THE correct dry type air cleaner used on 40 and 41 Lincoln Continental Coupes and Cabriolets. The air cleaner in picture #2 is the optional oil bath air cleaner used ONLY on Zephyrs. Will not fit under the LC hoods. You have the correct dry type air cleaner.

The intake manifolds on Lincolns from 1936 thru 1948 are the same are the same physical size for all models. They differ only in the carb mounting pedestal . Until the late 1941 the carbs were mounted with three mounting bolts. Late in 1941, 42 and 46-48 the pedestal were change to four bolts to mount the carb. I believe this was due to the change in the location of the distriutor vacuum line fitting to the base of the carb from the fitting in front of the pedestal.

Email me directly at johnandmarjorae@embarqmail.com if you need any specific information.