Window Rattle

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi everyone,

I want to eliminate the window rattle I am experiencing, and I believe that an inner and outer window channel sweeper kit should repair it. What are your thoughts on this? Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest dwhiteside64

No I haven't. I only experience rattle with the windows down. Can this tell me anything concerning the mechanism?

When the window is up, it's being held in place by the pressure against the roof seal. When it's down there's nothing to hold it still. Look for broken or missing guides, or even a loose bolt that's supposed to be holding the regulator in place. I've parted out a couple of these recently and each one had a broken piece of diecast frame. Same exact piece on both cars. We looked for these because another Riv owner had the same piece broken on his car.

Mine was broken in the center when I got the car. We heli-arced it, It is repairable.

All the door related items on these cars are easy to fix and access with that removable door skin. I have been looking for a similar bolt on skin design since the '63's came out. Haven't found one on a production car.

The Riviera was the first GM car built without a metal frame around the full perimeter of the windows. Being an upscale car wind noise was not acceptable so allowance was made to adjust the widow fit to the weatherstrip with the door closed and all adjusters accessible. These were flat windows.

When the standard GM bodies went to curved frameless glass in '65 the curve helped seat the glass in the weatherstrip so the access for fine adjustment wasn't needed any more. Its a one shot engineering fix.

Bernie

When the standard GM bodies went to curved frameless glass in '65* the curve helped seat the glass in the weatherstrip so the access for fine adjustment wasn't needed any more.Bernie

*66. 65's still had the first generation flat glass.

"65 Riviera's still had the flat glass but most of the other GM lines shifted to curved glass for '65. That was their standard. In '66 GM started its big money saving move to eliminating vent windows, not all models but the Riviera was one.

Bernie