Console Courtesy Floor Light Removal

Foxlovescars

Hi Guys: 1965 Riviera--Still waiting for my assembly manual to arrive. Am replacing the dreaded heater core and removing the console between the seats. To remove the console, I have to unhook the round console floor lights mounted on either side. From the inside of the console, I tried to separate the bulb socket from out of the back of the assembly, but they don't seem to move. Does the round chrome circle come off the front somehow? Everything is very old and brittle and I don't want to crack anything. Can someone please tell me how I can remove these? Thanks, Frank from Virginia

if i remember right the bulb housing has two tabs that catch the light housing when pushed in-from the bulb side try releasing these tabs with small screwdriver-have to do both sides at once-it should release to the inside.T.Nugent...

Hi Guys: 1965 Riviera--Still waiting for my assembly manual to arrive. Am replacing the dreaded heater core and removing the console between the seats. To remove the console, I have to unhook the round console floor lights mounted on either side. From the inside of the console, I tried to separate the bulb socket from out of the back of the assembly, but they don't seem to move. Does the round chrome circle come off the front somehow? Everything is very old and brittle and I don't want to crack anything. Can someone please tell me how I can remove these? Thanks, Frank from Virginia

Yes, Frank, the round chrome circle comes off from the front. You first remove the plastic lens in the center. Look carefully and you will see the lens has 3 little tabs sticking out into the chrome circle. Gently work one of them out and then another and take the lens out. Once you have the lens and bulb out, you can remove the chrome light holder.

But, as Tom said, easier to disconnect the wires inside the console and leave the round chrome things on the console.

HTH.

Jim: Thank you for the providing the correct answer that I needed. I took Tom's advice and disconnected the wiring harness, but I still wanted to replace one of the two plastic lenses as it was yellowed. I followed your instructions and the lens popped right out. Frank